file access error. unable to store settings

Hi,

I've just purchased a XXL 540S and the first thing I did was to connect it to a computer to install all updates. After that or it hangs on the startup screen (tomtom logo), and needs to be reseted, or starts asking language/time...and then show me a error message "file access error. unable to store settings".

I've already tried to run a chkdsk on the tomtom's filesystem and also the TomTom Clear Flash tool for three times or more. Reformatted the reinstalled the software/maps but the problem persists.:(

On the device information screen (hold the power button longer after a reset) it shows the information: "Sector protection: No" surrounded by a red line. What does this means?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

You seem to have tried the various things I'd suggest (especially the Clear Flash). I'd return it as afaulty unit.

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately this is not an option since the GPS was bought in the U.S. and right now I am in Brazil, where I live ...

Are you able to successfully format the drive with quickformat disabled?

Also, did you backup before your prior formats? If so, what application version is your backup?

I'm having what sounds like the same issues. I got my TomTom 540TM XXL from Amazon, between Black Friday and Christmas. It was working pretty well at first, but several of the TTH functions wouldn't work. So I did an Application update.

Now, the device goes through the initial setup every time is starts and gives an "Unable to Store Settings: File Access Error".

I also get the "Sector protection: No" on the self-test screen. Any thoughts on what that means? Is it a problem?

Thanks for the reply, dhn!

Unfortunately, like toniguedes in the original post, I have tried several things, including clear flash, reinstalling the application, file system check, and even formating and reinstalling. What I learned too late was that the device should have come with a warning label: "Perform a complete, Explorer backup before doing ANYTHING."

I've been waiting a couple of days for a response from tech support. I'll probably give up and send it back, but I thought maybe the "Sector Protection: No" message was a clue to my problems.

No, that sector message wouldn't be the issue......

I'm afraid your unit should be returned to Amazon. Boy they sent out a bunch of crappy units, it seems! :(

Suppose I try to use this Clear Flash Tool and it deletes all the files. Copying a previous backup to the device is enough to get it to boot again? Or I have to do a special formatting?

The Clear Flash Tool does not delete files (at least not any that you will ever be able to see) and has never, as far as I know, bricked a unit. It doesn't clear ALL of the flash, just the memory block used to hold certain operating parameters.

However, you should ALWAYS have a full backup made by your operating system (not Home).

OK. I made the backup.

The message "Unable to store map settings: File access error" started last week. Now everytime I reset or turn on the device, it freezes at the start-up screen.

It's a shame that the 340 doesn't have an external uSD slot. My concern is that you have some flash that is in rough shape.

OK - having made the backup, go ahead and connect your 340 to your PC. Then turn on the unit. Even though it may behave badly, see whether you can find it as an external drive in My Computer. If so, go ahead and run the Clear Flash tool three times. (Why 3? We don't know. Seems to work. It's one of those 'tribal knowledge things whose origins no one is certain about!)

When done, use the proper USB disconnect method in the systray (lower right) for the 340.

Give that a try and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, we'll take the next step (format and restore), but let us know first.

Ref item 2 .. don't know what OS the OP is using, but be sure to format as FAT32.

Glad we were able to put you back in business. I'm just glad that the format worked well. Here's hoping that any bad blocks of flash have been properly mapped and that you don't see this issue again!

At least you've got a good backup now. Our recommendation is to do such a backup before any major new content is added (new firmware and maps, especially). If you've got that backup of your maps, we can get you out of any just about any ditch that isn't the result of busted hardware.

Ask a Question