Fellow Torontonians, need help about map correction

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
hi guys,
i'm having an annoying problem. i live on islington ave. i take islington ave to take 401 eb to go to my work. but my tomtom 730 never shows the route to take 401 eb using islington ave straight. it totally ignors from the walmart on islington ave to 401 entry. i tried to correct the map errorand named it as islington ave, but didn't help. still tomtom ignors it.

in the picture i've pointed the missing portion of islington ave. the tomtom does not treat the pointed portion as islington ave and i think that's why it never shows me to take 401 using only islington ave.

what can i do to correct this error?

help pls

Attachments

• Missing-Islington-Ave.jpg
    Missing-Islington-Ave.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
i've fixed the map error, but still tomtom does not even consider that road. what else need to be done?
i'm starting to regret my purchase. :(

When I get a chance, perhaps later today, I'll check what the current (825) map shows for that location. (unless someone here can help you out before then .... :p)

When I get a chance, perhaps later today, I'll check what the current (825) map shows for that location. (unless someone here can help you out before then .... :p)

i appreciate ur help greatly. for ur test pick start point on islington ave (near islington/elmhurst) and end point on islington ave (near islington/dixon) u'll see the issue.

It looks as if 825 shows the same stuff

Attachments

• islington.jpg
    islington.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
It looks as if 825 shows the same stuff

what is 825?
i mentioned before in the post i made corrections to the map. now my tomtom shows continous islington ave(like ur posted image) at the point i showed in the attached image in my first post.

but still when i plan a route tomtom completely ignors it. it shows a detour from islington then brings me back to islington, but doesn't take the shortest/quickest route.

any idea?

8.25 is the latest map. You said you had 8.01

I was just showing that in the latest map, it still doesn't have a connection from Islington to the 401East. Or, at least, it doesn't appear to be.

It may be that, for some reason, you have a mapshare 'fix' that shows the entrance as blocked.

In Home, change the preference for mapshares to remove all changes on the map.

Then try the routing again and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
i've fixed the map error, but still tomtom does not even consider that road. what else need to be done?
i'm starting to regret my purchase. :(

You said you renamed the road. That won't cause tomtom to take it. You need to go to the block/unblock road option in mapshare, and unblock the road (change it from a red "do not enter" to a blue arrow.

Then tomtom should start using it in directions.

I had a similar experience when I was visiting my sister in Halifax. There was one corner that the GPS absolutely refused to believe I could turn left -- even though that was the predominate direction. I tried various combinations of roadblocks and turn restrictions (both enable and then disable) and it would not route properly. I gave up, realizing that I knew which way to go and would save myself the two minute detour.

I tried the suggested points on Google maps and it does route correctly down Islington. Maybe it is a bad map share. There are just some intersections that, for whatever reason, do not work properly.

I had a similar experience when I was visiting my sister in Halifax. There was one corner that the GPS absolutely refused to believe I could turn left -- even though that was the predominate direction. I tried various combinations of roadblocks and turn restrictions (both enable and then disable) and it would not route properly. I gave up, realizing that I knew which way to go and would save myself the two minute detour.

There was a bug where turn restrictions were hidden from the mapshare screens. See here. This could have caused your problem, it was fixed in app 8.350.

If 8.350 doesn't allow for correcting the turn, post the intersection and I'll look into it.

Last edited:
I've a One 3rd Edition, so I don't have that firmware available to me. I'm running Map 7.15 and firmware 8.014.

The intersection in question is Kearney Lake Rd at Dunbrack St. The "straight" path has Kearney Lake Rd turning into Dunbrack St, hence Kearney Lake Rd takes a left at the intersection. The GPS refused to take the left and routed me through the subdivision just prior to the intersection. I was attempted to follow Kearney Lake Rd down to Bedford Hwy.

The problem doesn't exist on map 825, and I sold my ONE with map 720 so I don't have a comparable map to yours to test.

Did you try blocking the left turn in mapshare (don't share it), then leave mapshare. Then go back in and unblock the left turn. This fixes the hidden turn restriction bug, if that was the cause.

You can test the routing by doing a "Plan route" from the menu.

Oh yeah, I played with it for a good half-hour last August when I was in Halifax. There was no amount of convincing the GPS to make that left turn. I even blocked the route it wanted to take and it routed over a huge area, just to avoid taking that left turn.

I just accepted that I knew where I was going and the GPS would figure it out after I made the turn I wanted to take. It's a tool, but I'm driving and if I know a better route, I'm going to take it.

Ask a Question