Feature not supported? but it use to supported.

Well, after upgrading to the lates version of Tom Tom on my device now I lost the computer voice, the backup/restore and the operate my go. The voice of the computer will not work at all, only 2 regular voices do now without the street names pronunciation. cannot restore old backup since not it happens to be not supported.
Any ideas, I just wanted to fix the garbled voice with the update and now is worst.:(

From now on, make SURE you do ALL of your TomTom backups using Windows Explorer, making sure that you have "show hidden and system files"

TomTom Home's backup/restore "feature" gives a false sense of security making you think you have a backup when really, you most likely don't. Many files get corrupted during the backup or restore process.

At this point it sounds like you need to do a clean installation of your device. Right now before doing anything else, I'd make a backup of your device using Windows Explorer.

Are no computer voices showing as available?

Questions:
1. In Home, when you move to items on my unit, does it show computer voices listed?
2. In Home, when you move to items on my computer, does it show computer voices listed?

If 'yes' to the above, try a pin reset on the unit. Does that allow for the computer voices to be selected?

If not, uninstall the application and reinstall.

Remember: You cannot select a computer voice using Home. You select it on the unit itself.

sigh...

Thrid time that I need to do this after a harmless update (did I say harmless) I wonder if Garmin have the same problems.

After selecting the voice on the unit it will not talk at all, only 2 regular voices will work. On home it tells me that this feature is not supported by the unit. ( to select them)

btw. when I show the contens of the device it tells me " This item cannot be used with the current version of the Tom Tom application on your device" funny after just update the application from home after following the Home advice.

It shows all the voices with the same warning in both, the computer and the unit when searching with the home app.

did try a pin reset.

Last edited:
Btw before I forget, regardless of the outcome I really apreciate the support from this forum, I wish i found it earlier.

Thanks for the promp response.

Try the Clear flash tool found here. Download and run it 3 times. You lose no settings using it.

If that doesn't work, try 'restore to factory defaults' on the preferences page 8 (I think). You lose all custom settings but you have nothing to lose.

And you ARE disconnecting the unit properly from the computer, I hope.

thanks for the link. I ran the flash 3 times, restore to factory, set language and all the things, still will not work. Home will tell me I cannot use the back up function or operate from the computer like I use to. Maybe is the get a new unit Update, the one that render the GPS useless so you have to get a new one? I will reintall the original apps from the disk tomorrow, too much agravation for today. THanks guys I will update the status when I get it done.

Thanks again.

have you tried removing the TomTom app, and then doing an Update My Device? It will see the TomTom app is gone and reload it.

Worked on my father-in-laws

Ask a Question