Favourites Copy TT to TT

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes Europe
Hi all.

I need some help regarding the Favourites.
Before I bought my tomtom I was using a company one (One V3). I then purchase my (One XL IQ Routes).
I have created some Favourites on the (One V3) that I would like to copy to my new one. The maps are the same although the V3 as a older version.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the Help
Regards
MigCooper

The best approach when transferring positional data from one device to another is to use the Custom POI format (ov2)
You will need to copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the UK&ROI map folder on the One Third Edition to your computer then use POIEdit (which you can download from Here ) to open the file and save it as an ov2 format POI file, put this ov2 file into the UK&ROI map folder on the the XL IQ, if your new toy is a Europeand device then the map folder to put the resultant ov2 file will be named something like Western_Europe_2GB so put it in there.

As a tip for the file name for your custom POI file name it "_My Favourites" (without the "" and note the _ at the start of the file name, this puts the POI category at the top of the list on the new device).

If you were to copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the old device to the new one it probably wouldn't work resulting in the device rebooting all the time, this is why I only use custom POI files these days to store locations rather than favourites as they go AWOL all too often - Mike

Thanks

Hi mikealder .

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it worked perfectly for me I took the .cfg file from the older unit and followed your steps. Not only the favourites were available but all recent destinations as well. Just add to do some tide up and all worked fine.

Thanks a lot, this was a great help.

Regards
MigCooper

Glad to hear you got sorted out, in future I would add locations to your custom POI file rather than re-start using Favourites on the new device for the following reasons:

1/ Software updates can make the favourites file un readable so the device simply deletes them all.
2/ Map update can also render the favourites file un readable so again it gets deleted.
3/ Custom POI files can hold thousands of locations and you get the option to include phone numbers.

- Mike

Just a counterpoint in favor of using favorites.

I like favorites because they are fewer taps away. I only keep 6 of them, my true "favorites", so can get to them with 4 simple taps: menu -> navigate to -> favorite -> pick the favorite.

Every other destination I care about is stored as a POI.

You need to backup the file before any map upgrade because it gets deleted often. Once restored, it the Tomtom doesn't start up, run Operate my Tomtom in HOME and rename a favorite (that fixes it).

Last edited:

Ask a Question