Favorites restore question.

That application is great for the FIRST time when you want to transfer EVERYTHING to a new model.

But if you just want to copy a couple of POI files onto the VIA (such as your new Favourites file) then you do it in MyTomTom.

I've just posted how to do it (with a couple of pics) in another topic. Have a look HERE

Favorites restore question - New twist

I too fell into the TT trap and lost my favs. I had an old backup so I tried copying the old MapSettings.cfg to the new map file. When I looked at the favs on my TT they were not restored. I then happened to look at Recent Destinations and lo and behold there were my old favs. I've tried several times with the same results. Any ideas?

TIA,

Dwight

TT GO 930
Map Version 880.3810
SW Version 8.302 (Had a newer version but had to downgrade so mp3 player would work)
TT Home Version 2.8.2.2264

Well why not just convert he recent destinations to Favourites?

You have to do it one at a time, but it only takes a few minutes, its probably much quicker than trying to find a way to restore them any other way.

Go to Browse map / Find / Recent destination / Blue cursor button / Add as Favourite
Repeat for all entries.....
Done

I already did that but I really don't want to have to do that every time I update the map. Just copying the file over is enough of a pita. It would be nice to figure out how to get the favs restored directly.

Dwight

I presume you've tried the "Operate my Go" fix? (where you run the Home on-screen emulator and save a new Favourite) That often restores all the other favourites too.

But while it's still a gamble whether they will transfer over with no issues or whether they are recoverable or not by the usual "Operate my Go" hack, then I'd suggest you don't use Favourites for anything long-term at all.

Save all your regular locations as user-POI categories, either all in one category or split out into Family, Friends, Work contacts etc.

I just use "Favourites" as a temporary store before moving them somewhere else.

Another handy trick is to call the POI file something like "_Favourites", because the underscore at the front means it will always appear at the top of the alphabetical list of POI categories.

All I do is backup (Copy) my MapSettings.cfg from my old maps folder (I always make backups before I do anything) to the new one on the device (Over writing if needed) then in TomTom Home I operate my device and then just edit a favorite then save and no problems at all. I know its a pain but it works.

If I Just copy it over without operating my device via tomtom home it will just get stuck at the boot screen and have to do a pin reset to get it to shut off. Surprised tomtom has not addressed this issue by now.

Anyone else get a feeling of Deja Vu? :rolleyes:

Also Hippie... they have.... but you are still using an old device.
With more recent models and software favourites (usually) do get transferred OK into a new map.

Yeah, Im on an old (but looks and works like new) 720 and that is the only way I can get my favorites over to the new maps is copy and paste and then just edit a favorite in TT Home and all is good. :)

Ask a Question