Favorites --> POI's Help me pls

sgh

how can i change favorites to a Point of interest.?

as i have filled my favorites with stops needed for my work, and need to add more .:confused:

Your favorites file (mapsettings.cfg) can be opened in a program called poiedit.

www.poiedit.com

open the file and edit out or keep those you need and then save the remainder as an .ov2 file. name it whatever you wish and load it into the tomtom. done!

First of all, I saved my favorites to an .OV2 category I named "Pauls_Places". I then opened an icon in TT and "saved as" to "Pauls_Places (icon has to be named same as your .ov2 file). I then modified the icon to the first letter of my name and saved it. Now on my map my POI's show up like the gas station POI icons do.

Keep in mind there are advantages to storing locations as POI's instead of favorites.
(1) You can add phone numbers to POI's

On 720:
Change Preferences > Manage POIs (screen 2) > Edit POI > Pick "Near You", "In City", etc.. For your POI category, I chose the one I made "Pauls_Places". Finally pick the POI and the next screen will give you an option to edit it and add a phone number.

(2) If you reset your TT, your POI's are not lost

First of all, I saved my favorites to an .OV2 category I named "Pauls_Places". I then opened an icon in TT and "saved as" to "Pauls_Places (icon has to be named same as your .ov2 file). I then modified the icon to the first letter of my name and saved it. Now on my map my POI's show up like the gas station POI icons do.

Keep in mind there are advantages to storing locations as POI's instead of favorites.
(1) You can add phone numbers to POI's

On 720:
Change Preferences > Manage POIs (screen 2) > Edit POI > Pick "Near You", "In City", etc.. For your POI category, I chose the one I made "Pauls_Places". Finally pick the POI and the next screen will give you an option to edit it and add a phone number.

(2) If you reset your TT, your POI's are not lost
If you save the Mapsettings.cfg file, you can reload your favorites

What I would do, is go into preferences, then manage pois, >add poi category, >make up your category "appt" or "stops", then done, back into preferences now go to add poi, >pick your new category,>pick the favorite you want to convert and your done.

Once you make a poi category, you can add all the favorites you want and do it through the tomtom and not need to be connected to the computer.

yes, but only one at a time. if you have a full favorites file that's a lot of tapping on the screen. with poiedit it's only a half dozen keystrokes at most.

I don't use POI edit, and didn't know it did a batch convert. Thanks for the information. After you did that though, if you are only going to update it when you enter a new favorite one at a time it might be more useful. I guess it depends on the number your converting. And in my case, if you have a Mac or not. (poi edit doesn't support macs) HAHA.

You're right of course. and nothing wrong with those mac computers. My brother in law has one and I enjoy it a lot whenever I use it....:)

Ask a Question