Faulty ONE XL? Help!

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
I just bought a new TomTom ONE XL and right out of the box it will not work. I have tried everything under the sun that I can think of, but no luck. I even called tech support to no avail. The tech did not really sound like he knew what he was doing anyway, but nonetheless, he says it's "dead out of the box."

My question is on the way, but let me give you some background first.

Upon startup, I get the standard TomTom splash (black screen with red/white TomTom logo) and then I get a blue screen w/white border that has a picture of the TomTom. At the start of this view I also see a yellow progress bar roll across the screen. When it is not connected to the computer the screen then shows a RED circle with a WHITE X in the middle of it. This happens whether I am inside or out, and whether it is connected to external antenna or not. When it is connected to the computer (MacBook- OS 10.4.9) via the USB cable I get a blue screen w/white border that has a picture of the TomTom with cable connected to it, as well as a red X with text stating to wait. Oh, before this shows I get a yellow progress bar roll across the screen. Once the computer recognizes the TomTom the RED x goes away, but from here it is questionable.

Once it is connected to the computer and recognized, I can see that it has mounted and is visable on my desktop as a mounted disk named "INTERNAL". TomTom Home does not start up on its own once the device is connected (like I think it is supposed to), so I launch it manually.

I can see the device within TomTom Home (version 1.5.106). I can see all the data on the device, I can make a backup of it, and can install updates and delete data from the device. When I select My ONE XL under the more... category in the left sidebar it tells me that no device is available in red at the top of the main window and within the picture of the TomTom ONE XL that is in the main window it tells me to diconnect it from the USB cable and then let the device restart normally and then plug it back in.

When I do this I get the exact same message as before. So, no change and i still cannot get the thing to work.

I tried doing a reset from the reset button using a paper clip, but still no change. I tried downloading TomTom Clean Flash and installing/running that, but still no change. I uninstalled every TomTom item on my computer (Cache, prefs, app support, Home, etc.) and still get no change in any thing. Tried re-installing everything, and still nothing. I have tried everything above in different orders just to see if I can get something to go differently. I tried renaming support files to see what happens, but still no change.

I'm at a loss and am leaving on a three week vacation where I had hoped to see the benefits of having a GPS on our travels, but nooooo. I was just hoping that someone else out there has had this happen to them, so I can hear what you did to remedy this. I realize that I can simply return this for a new one, but the problem is that I need/want it now and cannot wait the time it will take to replace it. I bought it through Amazon.com via Electronica Direct and getting something done before the weekend is most likely impossible.

I saw in another forum that someone else had the same issue, but I cannot get them to respond to how they got theirs up and running again. Any help that anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated. Thanks to anyone that has even spent the time to read this entire rant. I appreciate it and hope you don't feel worse off for having done so. Thanks, I am open to anything at this point.

Get your hands on another unit

The effort you have put into trying to get this working is more that I would have done. The unit is obviously bad. Call the Amazon supplier and get authorization to return it. IF they will not overnight ship a replacement then I would head for Best Buy or CompUSA and buy it from them... might cost $30 or $40 bucks more but because of the urgency of the situation that is a small price to pay.

By the way, I just got a TomTom One (not XL) through Amazon and it is working great right out of the box. I think that is the norm. What you are going through is not.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I am taking your suggestion to get one elsewhere and get a refund for the other. Glad to hear my situation is not the norm.

TT ONE XL Restore/Revive

I had the same problem - not out of the box but after a software update. Apparently the HOME software corrupted my map files! After a 40 minute tech support call - btw they were nice, quick and pleasant, I had to re-download the USA/Canada maps and reinstall them. I'm in the middle of the back up now (about a 40 minute process - be patient!) so fingers crossed I'm back to 100%. I will be calling TT Monday to resolve the $80 charge for a Map THEIR software (confirmed by Tech Support) corrupted. Hopefully a refund will be coming my way.

Ask a Question