Fastest Route... is Shortest Route

I am finding that the 910 is almost always equating the Fastest Route with the Shortest Route---even when that is NOT the fastest route.

That is, the TomTom often wants to snake through neighborhoods, rather than take the freeway to the nearest exit. I have seen it do this dozens of times... which is a bit of a disaster when you're driving a large vehicle (bus or truck).

In one instance, the shortcut was so narrow, I had to improvise and kept going. As it turned out, the shortcut, which was probably shorter by mere feet, dumped back onto the main road. It would have been faster to simply stick to the main road.

In all my years using Magellan's product, I rarely ever encountered this.

Hmm... that's odd. It doesn't appear that way with my ONE in my city. Shortest will always result in some stepped ladder route and fastest will always end up taking main roads.

There both the same except it calculates the fastest route by the type of road (highway, main roads, etc.).

They usually give me the same exact route each time, but my travel is always long and requires highways so no difference there.

Ask a Question