Failed software update - HDD reformated and files restored - won't boot

Hi,

I have a tomtom GO 910 that was running on old software. So, I made a backup, I downloaded the new navcore and maps, formatted the hdd (while connected through USB) and put the new files on the device. After this, the device booted up and things seemed to be working. I turned it off and it never booted up again (and i tired all imaginable power/reset key sequences as well as charging, etc).

Since I deal with embedded devices, I have a 1.8" ZIF to parallel ATA adapter. I opened the tomtom, connected its hdd to a regular computer running windows xp, deleted the partition on the HDD, created a new primary one, formatted it as FAT32 and copied all files back to it.

I put everything back together. I let it charge up. Now all that it does is the following:
-after pushcing the reset button, if I press the power button, the LED will give a very quick blink.
-if it's charging the LED will be on
-if I hold the reset button together with the power button the LED will stay on for as long as they're both being pushed.

The LCD will not light up at all.

What can have gone wrong? The HDD is definitely working fine when connected to a computer. Could it be that the partition should be a special one (i.e. on that starts at a certain sector?). Maybe using the default unit size for FAT32 doesn't work? Does it use an MBR (does it have to be bootable?)? does the "system" file have to be hidden or within a certain amount of sectors?

Could anyone give me information on the partition on their tomtom 910 hdd?

I am pretty sure I connected all flat cables back correctly...unless I killed the LCD or mainboard through ESD!

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help or has any suggestion!

PS what should happen if no HDD is connected. I read somewhere that a logo should appear on the screen. Is that true?

Problem solved!! :-D

I tried recreating the partition one more time and now the device is working great!

Should anyone have a bricked 910, feel free to ask me for help!

Problem solved!! :-D

I tried recreating the partition one more time and now the device is working great!

Should anyone have a bricked 910, feel free to ask me for help!

What you have described is EXACTLY what has just happened to me. I have contacted TomTom regarding this and have not heard ANY reply as of yet. Where did u get the adapter. Looks like I will need to get one and do things myself. Thanks in advance.

21:17: Managed to order a drive enclosure from ebay, God I love that site. Hopefully van get this going again when it arrives.

Last edited:
Ok, I have received my adapter in the mail. I have connected the hdd from the tomtom to the adapter and formatted the drive.

I have then copied all my previous backup data back onto the device but still "sticks" at the logo screen.

Any ideas before this thing gets launched in the skip.

Try using Explorer to delete all loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Use Home to download and install a fresh application. Does that help?

Ask a Question