Excitement starting to turn to disappointment

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I received my TT 720 as a Christmas present and was very excited when I read about everything that it was capable of. The map functionality, bluetooth, and mp3 player are all great. But, now that I am starting to get a little deeper into the TomTom's capabilities, I am becoming more disappointed in the unit.

I have run into a few different problems that are quite dissapointing:

1.The TT POIs are very poorly organized. Look at any other GPS system to see what I mean. For example, there you can look for restaurants by type of food (i.e. Chinese). With TT you can only find the 15 closest restaurants to a location that you specify.

2. I have considered getting the traffic receiver but have learned from a helpful member of this site that the information is spotty at best. That would have been a nice addition, but with bad information it is hardly worth the $130 price tag.

3. I connect my TT to my car stereo via an audio cable. The directions and mp3 music can individually be directed through my car speakers. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, the phone audio cannot. Again, with the help of another member of this site, I have found out that TT recognizes the deficiency and may fix it at a future date. This is a clear oversight by the developers; the hooks are already there for the phone audio to be routed to the car speakers, it appears as if they just simply forgot about it.

4. Today, on the way home, I found another inexplicable problem. I decided to call my girlfriend through the handy handsfree bluetooth interface. I called her office and got the automated attendant and had to dial her extension. No problem, right? I'll just dial using the DTMF keypad on the TT. Wrong. When I pressed the button the unit simply displayed a message that the feature is not supported. If the feature is not supportred then why have a button? This is not only an oversight, but inexcusable in my opinion.

TomTom could be a superior product if they started picking up some of the slack. But, as of right now, it appears to be a great idea that was poorly implemented.

Last edited:
I have the same disappointment with items 3 and 4 in your post.
On item 4, no dtmf capability, it may possibly be that it is only certain phones that TT's dtmf is not compatible with.
I use an iPhone. I would be curious if any other TT bluetooth users are able to use DTMF. Anyone?

I have the same disappointment with items 3 and 4 in your post.
On item 4, no dtmf capability, it may possibly be that it is only certain phones that TT's dtmf is not compatible with.
I use an iPhone. I would be curious if any other TT bluetooth users are able to use DTMF. Anyone?

Must be specific phones. My keypad works on with my Motorola Rzr.

Interesting... I have a Motorola RAZR v3m and it doesn't work.

I wonder if the service has anything to do with it. I am with Cingular. I just used it yesterday to access my work voice mail and it worked fine. I press the keypad button and the keypad appears. I can even hear the tones when I press the buttons.

I think the only reason I am not disappointed is that I bought my 720 as a GPS unit. Everything else, IMO, is just gravy. Heck, as a Mac user I was surprised to find that the TTH software was even compatible with the Mac and that the MP3 functionality actually works. I have yet to get the 720 to work with my Palm Treo 700P and dial the phone but I can live with that.

I bought it strictly for nav/routing. Returned it. The rest is gravy that I really didn't/don't care to pay for.

Out of curiosity, did you get a different unit?
nah he bought a map book, makes me laugh, why buy it with the all singing add ons and then complain because they are there and i dont wish to pay for them. dont you read the blurb BEFORE you buy

by the way the phone is not fm transmitted to protect your privacy, otherwise anyone near to you would have access to your calls on their radio:eek:

not sure what you mean shed, wanted 4.3", most of 'em come with all the addons. the 720 was supposed to be able to perform as a gps too but not in my experience, I may try a 2nd unit later.

nah he bought a map book, makes me laugh, why buy it with the all singing add ons and then complain because they are there and i dont wish to pay for them. dont you read the blurb BEFORE you buy

by the way the phone is not fm transmitted to protect your privacy, otherwise anyone near to you would have access to your calls on their radio:eek:
It's been done on other systems. Granted, it's not the best "in town" solution because of this, but NEITHER does the hardwired audio-out solution to the radio's amp work. THAT'S not a privacy issue.

not sure what you mean shed, wanted 4.3", most of 'em come with all the addons. the 720 was supposed to be able to perform as a gps too but not in my experience, I may try a 2nd unit later.
what do you mean it didn't perform as a GPS? That's what it is.

I mean when it doesn't have accurate maps and provide relatively smart routing it doesn't perform as a gps. It needs to do this well before it tries to do the other things. Others seem quite happy with it, perhaps mine was a bad one, perhaps diff firmware (my maps and firmware were the latest) are better. I truly wanted it to work, sending it back is a bummer and now I got nuthin'.

That's why I mentioned that I connect my TT 720 via an AUDIO CABLE. I do not use an FM transmitter, therefore, privacy is not an issue since it is not broadcast.

I mean when it doesn't have accurate maps and provide relatively smart routing it doesn't perform as a gps. It needs to do this well before it tries to do the other things. Others seem quite happy with it, perhaps mine was a bad one, perhaps diff firmware (my maps and firmware were the latest) are better. I truly wanted it to work, sending it back is a bummer and now I got nuthin'.

Dude - over at least two boards you constantly tell us you think the TT sucks. We know you didn't like it and why you didn't like it

The truth is all GPS devices have something that sucks and could be done better.

You don't own one and you aren't adding anything so move on.

Thanks

Not yet, the pricing is very high on the nuvis but I think that's what it'll be. unless the magellean 4040 goes back to 299 soon.

Do a search at pricegrabber.com and you will find it listed for less than 299.

good luck

rob

Dude - over at least two boards you constantly tell us you think the TT sucks. We know you didn't like it and why you didn't like it

The truth is all GPS devices have something that sucks and could be done better.

You don't own one and you aren't adding anything so move on.

Thanks
Thanx much Rob; sounds like their info is better than froogle.com

Osidak, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. I'm trying to let those doing similar analysis what I found so that they'll have their eyes open especially during the usual 30 day trial; this is info I dearly wish I would have had. I'll say (within reason)what I wish as will you. And I'm no dude.

Last edited:

Ask a Question