ex-Magellan Roadmate owner

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340TM
Spent the past week going though all the features of my new TomTom XL 340TM. It does so much more than the Magellan Roadmate. Still, there's two features on the Roadmate I can't seem to figure out on the TomTom.

1.) Is there a way to turn on the chime that sounds just before reaching the intersection where you need to turn or exit the freeway?

2.) Multiple itineraries: If I try to start a new itinerary, it asks me if I want to delete the existing one. On the Roadmate, I could name and save multiple itineraries, and arrange the various locations in each one in the most efficient driving order.

Neither of these are "must-haves" for me, though they would be nice.

Thanks

Welcome to TTF.

!. No, TomTom's don't have that feature.

2. You can have multiple Itineraries created and, in a sense, chain them where the destination for I1 is the starting point of I2, etc. and you can have up to 48 waypoints per itinerary.

2.) Multiple itineraries: If I try to start a new itinerary, it asks me if I want to delete the existing one. On the Roadmate, I could name and save multiple itineraries, and arrange the various locations in each one in the most efficient driving order.

I thought at first that I could only have one itinerary but actually you can have more. I think when you "delete" the existing itinerary you are only deleting it as the "active" itinerary; it is still stored in the "routes" folder.

I am also an ex road mate user

I was all excited for maps for life when I got the tomtom XL 350 TM for 169.00 but now I see the map street names are randomly named incorrectly. For example some say ave. while others say Avenue. No they are not different in real life. Also South. can be S. South or SO. If you dont input the street names exactly the way they are on the map you cant find the street. It says there is no house number available for that street. This is HUGE! Is there a GPS out there that does not have this problem? My Road mate never did this. I am taking this thing back. Also yes it is way too simple and does not give you the options you would need after a few days of learning how to use it. This thing is like using a childs toy. Technology is not where it should be on this unit.

I thought at first that I could only have one itinerary but actually you can have more. I think when you "delete" the existing itinerary you are only deleting it as the "active" itinerary; it is still stored in the "routes" folder.
That is correct. You can store many of them on the unit, and if you want to switch from one to another, it will always ask if you want to "delete" the current one - but it's just being deleted from active memory, not permanent storage. It's not the best choice of words.

but now I see the map street names are randomly named incorrectly. For example some say ave. while others say Avenue. No they are not different in real life. Also South. can be S. South or SO. If you dont input the street names exactly the way they are on the map you cant find the street.

Tomtom uses their own map vendor, Teleatlas, and in some areas they have the problem of naming the same street multiple ways in the same area. Tends to happen more in smaller cities, where owners haven't submitted as many mapshare corrections to fix it.

The delete prompt will cause you to delete the active itinerary.

Under "options", you can save the active itinerary, load saved itineraries, and delete saved itineraries.

Ask a Question