Ever wonder about Itineraries?....

Birdman

birdmen
TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 920
OK, so you've created a custom itinerary so the TomTom is forced to follow a certain route from point A to point B. Maybe you used TYRE as I explain below to create an itinerary route:
>>> TYRE and Google Maps for Itinerary Planning <<<

Or perhaps you use some other method. Point being, you have a nice, customized way to get from Point A to point B. How about going back from point B to point A???? Wouldn't you most likely want the same custom route since you spent so much time planning the best route?

Well, fear not! I have found a very fast 3rd party program that takes your existing *.itn file and creates the exact REVERSE direction *.itn file that you can use to route your way back!!!

It is called, quite appropriately, ReverseITN and can be found at the following location:
>>> ReverseITN <<<

* Remember, if you are running Navcore7 (i.e. TomTom ONE 3rd edition or TomTom ONE LE, etc.) you need to modify the code slightly as outlined here:
To run ReverseItn correctly on those Tomtom, perform the following actions :

* install ReverseItn on your Tomtom
* run it once, the screen is garbaged
* stop it by clicking in the lower right corner of the screen
* connect your Tomtom to your PC and edit the file /reverseitn/config.txt with Wordpad
* in this file, change the line screenadaptation none to screenadaptation rider2
* save your mods and re-start your Tomtom
* run ReverseItn, the screen is OK

For those who cannot figure out how to install these programs, here are instructions:
>>> TomTom HOME V2.x <<<

>>> TomTom HOME V1.x <<<

Last edited:
I have not checked it out yet but wonder if it will work appropriately in some circumstances.

When I created an Itinerary on Google, I had to carefully select "way points (vias or whatever folks want to call them) just after some highway intersections to make sure that the TT would TURN there and not try go get to another BIGGER turn or location. So in REVERSE it might not make the exact opposite turn????? It could shoot straight ahead possibly. Again, just musing about the behavior between points.

Hi Birdman,

This feature already exists in TYRE. In the Waypoint menu, select Turn....

F22,

Your concern is valid. When you're creating a waypoint that you know you're going to also reverse, you must be careful to position each waypoint so that it's in a place that you must pass regardless of which direction you're driving. For example, I once accidentally created a waypoint that was on the off-ramp of a highway. This worked fine for the itinerary in one direction, but when I reversed that itinerary, the TomTom created a pretty interesting (round-about) route so that I could pick up the waypoint that was on the one-way off ramp.

So anyway, reversing an itinerary works, but you must be extremely strategic about where you place your itinerary waypoints, or you will get unexpected results! :rolleyes:

Hi Birdman,

This feature already exists in TYRE. In the Waypoint menu, select Turn....

F22,

Your concern is valid. When you're creating a waypoint that you know you're going to also reverse, you must be careful to position each waypoint so that it's in a place that you must pass regardless of which direction you're driving. For example, I once accidentally created a waypoint that was on the off-ramp of a highway. This worked fine for the itinerary in one direction, but when I reversed that itinerary, the TomTom created a pretty interesting (round-about) route so that I could pick up the waypoint that was on the one-way off ramp.

So anyway, reversing an itinerary works, but you must be extremely strategic about where you place your itinerary waypoints, or you will get unexpected results! :rolleyes:

Hey, that's great to know, Steve, thanks for the pointer.

And, yes, that is very true about the omnidirectional waypoints....you must think ahead when choosing those intersections.

How to avoid itinerary goof-ups

And, yes, that is very true about the omnidirectional waypoints....you must think ahead when choosing those intersections.

Yes, accidentally placing waypoints on one-way roads was causing me some grief last night. I was using TYRE to plan a trip from Rochester, NY to Silver Spring, MD. Some of the waypoints were on highways. The trip looked fine in Google Maps, but when I loaded the .itn file into the TomTom and reviewed the trip, I was seeing some goofy results.

The problem became clear when I looked at the trip again in TYRE/Google Maps with my view zoomed in close. What was happening was that my waypoints were sometimes placed on the wrong side of a divided highway, which caused the TomTom to plot a convoluted route in order to pick up those waypoints.

So here's the process I've learned to use with TYRE:
  1. In TYRE, plan a trip as usual with the zoom level at a high "altitude" so that you can see a lot of the Earth.
  2. After you have a good number of waypoints added to the itinerary in order to force Google Maps and the TomTom to follow your intended route, zoom in very close in Google Maps.
  3. One by one, click on each waypoint in TYRE and adjust it so that it's on the proper side of the road. This is especially important when the waypoint is on a divided highway.
  4. After you're satisfied with the itinerary for taking the trip in one direction, use TYRE to reverse the itinerary by using TYRE's "Turn..." command. (NOTE: Make sure when you save the reversed itinerary that you do a Save As so that you don't overwrite your original itinerary.)
  5. In the reversed itinerary, again use TYRE and Google Maps to zoom in close and position each waypoint on the proper side of the road.
  6. You should now have two itineraries for your trip (one to get you there and one to get you back again). You also should have reviewed them up close using TYRE. Load both itineraries into your TomTom.
  7. In advance of the trip, load the itineraries and review them on the TomTom to make sure you get the same results on the TomTom that you got in TYRE.
  8. Enjoy your trip!

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question