Europe Map update offer

Hi All,

I have a special offer email from Tomtom: the "Western Europe - 1 year Map Update Service".
My device is a Tomtom One 2nd edition with the United Kingdon and Republic if Ireland maps on it.

Can anyone advise if the Westerm Europe map update work OK to update my UK maps?
Many thanks!

It's a Tomtom One Second Edition, with 241MB of memory. The offer for the Europe map upgrade is cheaper on the email link than if I upgrade my existing UK map from TomTom Home, even with the 50% discount I would get for upgrading my existing UK map.

Just not sure if I can use the Europe upgrade offer without buying the whole Europe map first, which I don't need.

I could be completely wrong, but 241MB of memory doesn't sound right.... I thought the minimum amount TomTom has ever put in a unit was 512MB

What were the first two characters of the serial number?

There won't be any way to add the WHOLE of the Europe map onto a unit with only 512 (or 241!) MB of storage, but they MIGHT offer you a "zoned" version of the map, where you would just install part of Europe (the "northern zone" and the "western zone" both include the UK). You still buy the whole Europe map, but only install part of it at a time.

I don't think there's any way you'll be able to use an offer for Europe maps to buy any other map.

As dhn suggests, use Home to see what maps are offered, it's clever enough to work out exactly which versions will fit on your device. You don't have to complete the purchase if you are just checking.

241MB is what TomTom Home reports as total memory. The first two characters of my device's serial number are E2.

Do you know if that device is capable of taking a 2GB memory card, or will that blow its mind?

241MB is what TomTom Home reports as total memory

Sorry for doubting you, just both the charts I've got suggest different...
One says the ONE 2nd Edition Europe had 1GB internal flash memory and the ONE 2nd Edition Regional had no internal memory and was supplied with a 1GB SD card, and the other says "512MB/1GB SD or Flash"

The first two characters of my device's serial number are E2.

Damn.... Usually when you use that product finder link, it tells you the model name AND the memory installed, but in this case it just says "ONE 2nd Edition".

Do you know if that device is capable of taking a 2GB memory card, or will that blow its mind?

If you've got a memory card slot (some models didn't) then certainly!

There are two possibilities. On some models you can just add an SD card as additional storage to supplement the internal memory, but on others you can only use one or the other.
I thnk on that model you can only use one or the other, in which case you need to first copy everything from the internal memory onto the card and the system will then boot from the card automatically.

Once that's done, try the update in Home again.

i have a tt one xl first letters ak ,i have brought the western europe map and 1 year of up dates from the tt home web site it warned me i could not load it all on but just regons as the lack of memory on my tt ,so i managed to get a 4gb sd card not a sdhc from amazon. Platinum 177106 Secure Digital 4 GB SD Card for under a £5 i managed to get it loaded on to the card and it worked,so brought a second card as a backup this also worked untill i went to up date and it wanted to replace the mape with a new one this took a long time to down load and up date but at the end of update it said not enough memory and froze the tt unit so i had to push rest button to turn it of ,then removed the card pluged it in to a card reader to fined it could not be red or formatted brought a third one and the same thing happend i now have two dead 4gb cards an relucktent to try to update the first one.any idear what is going wrong or do i have to bye just 2gb sd cards and keep switching regions thats if they work in it ?.

4GB SD cards are a bit of a "suck it and see" thing. The official SD card spec (for non HD cards) was only ever up to 2GB, so these 4GB cards are slightly "dodgy".
But having said that, I've used them successfully on at least 3 or four different older TomToms.

You might have better luck putting the card in the card reader to do the updates. TT Home should recognise the card just as if it was a normal TomTom.

Thanks for your help i have orderd a 4th one to try it through the card reader but if this fails should i go for the 2gb sd cards and split the map on to two cards as i dont want to lose all that money for the map and a years subcription,also i got the first 2 digets wrong it is a tomtom one xl L2 512 mb,
where do i go for help with the failer to conect to my samsung galaxy w to the tt. thanks.

There's no real need to split the map onto two cards unless you intend to travel across all the European countries very regularly. The way it normally works is that you buy the entire Europe map, but you only download the part you need from TomTom's servers (the map zones are explained here)

At any time, you can remove that map zone and replace it with another one. If you want, you can download them all and keep them on your PC.

I'm not much help to you on phone connection problems as I've never had a phone good enough to connect. But just ask here and someone may be able to help (probably best to start a new topic though).

It's entirely possible it's just not a compatible phone though. TT are very poor at getting a lot of phones to work properly with their units.

Ask a Question