Europe map doesn't work.

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One 2nd Edition
To cut a long story short, after some time of not using my Tom Tom One 2nd Edition it has stopped working. Firstly it said it had no voices then no maps and stopped working altogether, but I have a map of America which seems to work perfectly. I have tried many things but nothing works, I have no backups available. It appears that the application for Europe is not working. My question is if I buy a new European map does that include the application and is that likely to solve the problem.

The application is the same for Europe and the U.S. It appears to be the map that is at issue.

How were you getting the US AND Europe maps on that thing at the same time? Do you remember having another SD card around somewhere with the European map on it? Or are you saying your US card works, and your European card does not?

But you could not have had both the Europe and US map on the device at the same time, did you?

Seems pretty doubtful, dhn. That was a 'card only' model, and I am guessing he's saying his card with Europe isn't working, but am trying to verify that. If that's the problem, we may be able to get it into a card reader on his PC or in his unit and have a better look at it.

I either never knew or don't recall .. what is TomTom's policy on dealing with the cards they sell preloaded with maps?

To cut a long story short, after some time of not using my Tom Tom One 2nd Edition it has stopped working. Firstly it said it had no voices then no maps and stopped working altogether, but I have a map of America which seems to work perfectly. I have tried many things but nothing works, I have no backups available. It appears that the application for Europe is not working. My question is if I buy a new European map does that include the application and is that likely to solve the problem.

The Europe map on a card came with the Tom Tom, the US map I bought and downloaded later.So is the application on each map and the one on my european map not working.

Ah, OK. That makes 100% sense.

So let's focus on your European SD card for a bit. Are you able to see your European SD card with your PC"s operating system (looks like a thumb drive or similar) when either a) it's in your ONE and it's plugged in to your PC, or 2) it's plugged into a card reader on your PC?

As to the applications ... there will be one on each card, but they're not country specific -- though they might well be of very different ages. But we'll get to that in a bit. First we need to know, if possible, what's on the Europe card itself.

Ah, OK. That makes 100% sense.

So let's focus on your European SD card for a bit. Are you able to see your European SD card with your PC"s operating system (looks like a thumb drive or similar) when either a) it's in your ONE and it's plugged in to your PC, or 2) it's plugged into a card reader on your PC?

I am pretty certain that it does work on my computer when it says "use you device" or something like that. When I turn the tom tom on with European map it just says "no maps found" and I cannot do anything else with it. Obviously the European map and the US map are on separate cards.

... So let's focus on your European SD card for a bit. Are you able to see your European SD card with your PC"s operating system.....

I am pretty certain that it does work on my computer when it says "use you device" or something like that. When I turn the tom tom on with European map it just says "no maps found" and I cannot do anything else with it.

That reply raises two questions we need to ask...

I think canderson was probably asking you if you could simply SEE the contents of the SD card on your PC (using Windows Explorer) Knowing what files and folders you see on the card would make a diagnosis much easier.

But from what you say, it sounds like you have tried using TomTom "Home"s on-screen simulator, and that is actually working.
Is that the case?

If so, just try using that simulator, and plan a new route with it and then save any location as a new Favourite. that simple act might be enough to re-write a specific file that is known to be easily corrupted.

If not, go back to Windows Explorer and list as many of the files and folders you see on the card that you can for us please.

... So let's focus on your European SD card for a bit. Are you able to see your European SD card with your PC"s operating system.....

I am pretty certain that it does work on my computer when it says "use you device" or something like that. When I turn the tom tom on with European map it just says "no maps found" and I cannot do anything else with it.

That reply raises two questions we need to ask...

I think canderson was probably asking you if you could simply SEE the contents of the SD card on your PC (using Windows Explorer) Knowing what files and folders you see on the card would make a diagnosis much easier.

But from what you say, it sounds like you have tried using TomTom "Home"s on-screen simulator, and that is actually working.
Is that the case?

If so, just try using that simulator, and plan a new route with it and then save any location as a new Favourite. that simple act might be enough to re-write a specific file that is known to be easily corrupted.

If not, go back to Windows Explorer and list as many of the files and folders you see on the card that you can for us please.

I have had a look at the sd card for the European map and there is a set of folders and loose files. One of the files concerns me it is called..data.chk 3968kb (recovered file fragments) so it looks as if something is missing or has been corrupted. That is why I am asking if I buy the map and it comes with the application will it solve he problem. There is a backup file on the card but when I go to he computer it says there are no backups. By the way I want to thank you guys for all the advice you are giving me. It certainly helps.

I have also tried to work the tomtom from the computer as suggested and it doesn't work, the sceen just says "no maps". I have also tried a reset and that does nothing.

@Terry - Just a warning...
Those CHK files are NOT, repeat NOT file fragments recovered by Windows. Do NOT delete them! TomTom uses the CHK extension for other types of files!

Those CHK files are NOT, repeat NOT file fragments recovered by Windows. Do NOT delete them! TomTom uses the CHK extension for other types of files!

Hi canderson, it is the computer that is calling them recovered file fragments. (not me)

No problem - just didn't want you to accidentally delete any of them thinking you were going to free up some space!

Hi canderson, it is the computer that is calling them recovered file fragments. (not me)
That's because Microsoft assumes that because they use the .chk extension for fragments recovered after running Checkdisk, any file with the .chk extension must be a recovered fragment.

As canderson said, these are legitimate TomTom files, so just leave them alone unless instructed to do otherwise.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question