Euro TomTom 930 Conversion

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
I recently bought it from CraigsList, and it turns out that it is the European model of the 930. Does anyone have any info on how to convert a Euro model TomTom 930 to a North American one? I really want to use the Spoken Address feature, but according to TomTom if it is a Euro Model, you can only do spoken address in the European maps.

Any Help on enabling this feature, or converting it would be greatly appreciated!

Danny

Maybe an image file from a North American model would work?

Maybe an image file from a North American model would work?
Unless the previous owner just happened to have bought and installed the North American maps, and I'm assuming you're in somewhere in NA based upon your comments, you've got bigger problems. TomTom is going to want to SELL you the North American map set, and no, you can't use a set from another TomTom unit -- they're keyed to the serial number of the unit.

If/when you have hold of the NA map set, the spoken instructions can then be made to work correctly since we can get you the cspeech files needed.

Unless the previous owner just happened to have bought and installed the North American maps, and I'm assuming you're in somewhere in NA based upon your comments, you've got bigger problems. TomTom is going to want to SELL you the North American map set, and no, you can't use a set from another TomTom unit -- they're keyed to the serial number of the unit.

If/when you have hold of the NA map set, the spoken instructions can then be made to work correctly since we can get you the cspeech files needed.

This TomTom 930 already comes with both maps:
'North America' v800.1762
and
'Western and Central Europe' v800.1762

So I copied the ASR files on to the TOMTOM, and it now shows! When I try it though, it doesn't find any of the cities I tell it to... am I not speaking or saying the cities properly? Wrong version of the speech files to the Map version i have?

Ideas?

Thanks

Does a pin reset help?

Just press the reset for a second? or hold it down for a bit?

I just pressed it for a second or two, and it still does not recognize Vancouver, Vancouver BC, Victoria, Surrey, Langley, Toronto... nothing...

D

This TomTom 930 already comes with both maps:
'North America' v800.1762
and
'Western and Central Europe' v800.1762
You got yourself quite a deal there! I'm glad for you... was concerned it might be a bit of an issue.

As for getting ASR, we still need to be sure you have the speech files for both sides of the Atlantic, but if not, it's something that can be remedied.

Using Windows, hook up your unit, have it connect, shut down TTHome when it's done fiddling around, and look at your TomTom as though it were a removable drive (you'll see it under My Computer).

Look in your North American maps folder for CSPEECH files. There should be one for every state in the "Union", and one called CSPEECH_CAN.DAT. Based upon your attempts, I'm guessing that's the one you'll be needing. Let us know if it's there or not.

So I copied the ASR files on to the TOMTOM, and it now shows! When I try it though, it doesn't find any of the cities I tell it to... am I not speaking or saying the cities properly? Wrong version of the speech files to the Map version i have?

Ideas?

Thanks

I tried the speech recognition on my Amazon Refurb 720 and gave up after a brief struggle (didn't have the patience at the time). Anyway, the pronunciation of the town/city was a big problem. The name was Hockessin, pronounce with a long 'O' and accent on the second syllable as in 'hotel'; the unit only recognized what I was saying when I pronounced it with a short 'O' and first syllable accent as in 'hockey'. Not sure how useful the feature is, especially if you're uncertain of pronunciation.

You got yourself quite a deal there! I'm glad for you... was concerned it might be a bit of an issue.

As for getting ASR, we still need to be sure you have the speech files for both sides of the Atlantic, but if not, it's something that can be remedied.

Using Windows, hook up your unit, have it connect, shut down TTHome when it's done fiddling around, and look at your TomTom as though it were a removable drive (you'll see it under My Computer).

Look in your North American maps folder for CSPEECH files. There should be one for every state in the "Union", and one called CSPEECH_CAN.DAT. Based upon your attempts, I'm guessing that's the one you'll be needing. Let us know if it's there or not.

The cspeech_CAN.dat (31.1MB) file is there. I also have the cspeech_WA.dat file for Washington State, and when I do the ASR, it ca't find places like seattle.

Is there a support_asr.dat text file with just a 1 in ot, no quotes, carriage returns and is it located in the asr folder?

The cspeech_CAN.dat (31.1MB) file is there. I also have the cspeech_WA.dat file for Washington State, and when I do the ASR, it ca't find places like seattle.
That is about the right size.
When I used 8.002 with 800.1762 maps the ASR folder contained 81 files with a total size of 19.2 MB.

This may sound silly but, when you want to find Seattle do you first change to the State manually or if Langley are you sure you first select Canada?

View attachment 2397

Last edited:
You say you have an v800 map, and dhn gave you a link to v805 speech files.

Maybe they're not compatible?

Did you try calling tomtom support? I remember reading somewhere that tomtoms are always loaded with either europe or north america speech files, never both. Tomtom support probably deals with this question often enough, that they can probably lead you to a fix.

Did you try calling tomtom support? I remember reading somewhere that tomtoms are always loaded with either europe or north america speech files, never both. Tomtom support probably deals with this question often enough, that they can probably lead you to a fix.
I don't know where you read that but as cspeech files a map specific and all 9xx unit come from the factory with NA and W&CE maps one gets all the files required.
At least I go t all my European ones for my European map when I got my 930 in Canada with both maps in the internal memory.

Is there a support_asr.dat text file with just a 1 in ot, no quotes, carriage returns and is it located in the asr folder?

Yes there is that file, but it did have some carriage returns in it. I have cleared the returns with notepad, and tried it again... still can't find the city names.

Arno: I have set the country to Canada when searching for cities in Canada, and changed to the proper state for searching in the US.

Try a pin reset.

Also, ensure that Folder Options in Control Panel is set to show extensions for known file types. You want to make sure the asr file is really support_asr.dat and NOT support_asr.dat.txt with the part in red being hidden

Try a pin reset.

Also, ensure that Folder Options in Control Panel is set to show extensions for known file types. You want to make sure the asr file is really support_asr.dat and NOT support_asr.dat.txt with the part in red being hidden

The file does not have any extension at the end of it. I'm using a Mac with VMWare running XP. The file looks exactly like you say, on both Mac (TextEdit) and PC (NotePad). Still not working.

Is there a way to restore the TomTom back to when it was new in box? Would I have to save the Map Files?

Use Preference-->Restore to factory defaults.

Your map will not be affected but all your settings you made will have to be re-entered (language, Home location, any favourites, Preference settings, etc.)

Use Preference-->Restore to factory defaults.

Your map will not be affected but all your settings you made will have to be re-entered (language, Home location, any favourites, Preference settings, etc.)

Even if any files on the system have been delete by accident by the previous owner, or the files that I have added?

I'm not clear what you're asking. What previous owner? What files removed by a previous owner?

Ask a Question