Error When Updating my XL 340S!

I got an error when updating my GPS and I never got the chance to do a proper backup through explorer, so now my GPS says no maps found! when it starts. What can I do to fix this problem?

Format the thing and reinstall the software on it through home?

Remember I do not have any backed up data that I can use, so I will have to have the program download all the updates. Will this work?

Need to know what kind of error you got before we can proceed............

Was it when updating a new map? If so, was it during the download process or the install process? If the install process, then the new map should be found here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Let's start from there. Report back.

The error occurred during the update, the download went fine and i made sure to move the downloaded map file so it doesn't get deleted.

After the update failure all I got was the no maps found! error on my device.

I am leaving for a trip to NY for a couple of days and luckily my friend let me borrow his GPS to make the trip up there.

I am currently formatting the drive using the normal format, not the quick format option, and when I get back from my trip I will attempt to install the software back on.

Any other questions I can answer? I do not have any backup as I stated earlier.

As long as you do have the downloaded cab file on your hard drive, anything else can be downloaded for free.

You may want to look at this link:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

So, you should be able to install the new map without using Home. Then connect to Home and an application will be offered. Accept and install. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device disconnect icon.

If everything is ok, make that Explorer backup!!!

Alright. Since I am already on the road I am going to have to wait till Friday to try this out.

Thanks for the help so far!

I have successfully completed a full format.

I followed the link you left about installing the map without home, but the question I have is, since there are no folders on the GPS unit, which folder am I supposed to copy the unzipped files to on the GPS?

Using WinRar, the extraction will keep the file structure in the compressed cab file. So, it should create the folders as appropriate and place the relevant files in each.....

Ask a Question