Error connecting TomTom in Home

Hi guys.

I'm new here.

I've got a TomTom sold with Toyota Yaris Navi in Italy (TNS400)

I'm trying to connect the tomtom to Home Mac Version 2.7.3.754 but I get always the same error:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items Device Item Scanning std::exception: basic_string::substr.
@ /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b8co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(84)

in /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b8co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:84
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

I tried to uninstall and install again the TomTom Home but with no success.

Could you please help me?

thank you very much

Last edited:
OK. I managed to solve the problem, I think

I just erase the SD card memory, and all went well.

hope everything will be ok now!

sorry to disturb you guys, again.

but now I have a new big problem.

Now I have the right and updated map for Western Europe, but when I try to start my TomTom there is a big red cross on the SD card image on the screen.

Maybe this is due to the fact that I have erased the SD because of the problem in the first post, and I made a big mistake: I do not have the backup of the first erasion anymore.

So, could you please help me guys?

thank you very much.

Try connecting the unit to Home with the card inserted. It sould offer an application to download and install. Do so.

Any better??

Thank you very much for the response.

I tried everything, but the problem persists. I have the TomTom TNS400 (Toyota) and the problem starts because I erased the SD card because the TT Home App did not recognize the TomTom. After that, I managed to let TT Home to recognize the TomTom and I even bought the Wester Europe new map.

After that, I put the map into the tomtom but when I release the tomtom from the mac, the red cross on the SD card appear, and I'm not able to let it work.

maybe the erasion cancelled the system files. I don't know what to do.

thank you for any help.

yeps.

you can see what I see in my TomTom in the image in the attachment.

thank you very much.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.53.55 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.53.55 PM.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 494
Make an Explorer backup, not Home, of the sd card's contents. Once you are DOUBLY SURE there is a backup on your computer, especially the Western Europe map folder, then delete all the loose files on the sd card. NO folders or their contents.

Insert the card in the unit, connect to Home, and you should be offered an application. Download and install it. Then shut down Home completely.

Then use Explorer to copy back the map folder from the computer to the unit. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer. Restart the unit.

Does that help??

I solve the problem.

the problem was that the SD Card was corrupted. So I simply change the SD card and everything is now ok.

thank you for the advices.

You said yu were using a Mac...right?

Check the SD card with Disk Utility. I spent about 4 huors the other night getting an SD card to work properly on a Mac...

Out of interest are you using Goole Chrome as an Internet Browser? just a thought after reading the error messages you posted.

You may be able to recover the corrupt SD card. If yo can put it in to a Windows machine and Have XP Pro or better, then you should be able to use the Disk Management Service to check the disk format. I had a 2gb card that was showing anythng from 0.8 gb capacity all the way up to 3.8gb depending on how the previous format attempt went.

I tried reading the card in an USB card reader, a Panasoninc Digital Camera, a USB2 Card reader, the TTR2 itself and the multimedia slots on my printer...all of these different readers plugged in to two different Windows PC's, plus a VMware Win XP machine running on the Mac, and the Mac natively.

It turns out the 'corrupt' card had a GPT protective partition and nothng I tried could get rid of the GPT partition. Mac Disk Utitliy failed, as did Win XP and various disk partition tools as well as various Windows and Mac command line tricks.

In the end it turned out to be SD card/ card reader incompatibility...I finally managed to delete all partitions on the card using the Multimedia card reader on the printer and Mac Disk Utitliy to wipe the card and set it all to 'Free Space' .
I then created a new FAT32 partition named TOMTOMDISK with the card still in the printer reader slot...but using a VMWare Win XP machine on the Mac. You cant use the Mac to create the partition, as it seem s that Disk Utility on the Mac only creates FAT partition...and not FAT32 which I think the TTR requires.

Any way a lot of waffle from me, but I hope it helps you or someone else recover a 'dead' card

Neil

Ask a Question