Error code 1008?

I have no beef with this forum. Though why it wants to advertise tt I've no idea. All I want is a sat nav that works, and to warn others of the dangerous risks of " investing " in a TT sat Nav.

Seeing as I own the place, can I suggest we change the name of the Forum to DON'T BUY TOM TOM DOT COM ?

Thanks for the lead to the other forum MVL. Usual sad cases like me ranting in the wilderness and out of pocket thanks to Tom tom con men.

SH

Why have they still not pulled it?

Yesterday I hooked my Tom Tim 940 up and asked for the updates. I saw a new update is available for the system software so select it. Later while starting my journey from one end of UK to the other I get the error that triggered this discussion. I really needed Live services as the journey was littered with traffic issues.

How is it after a few weeks have passed, with TomTom recognising there is a problem, that they have not pulled this update yet?

I didn't know anything of the problem until yesterday - and how would I?

It's not unheard of for a company like TomTom to make an error with a software update. But I am gobsmacked that it's still there for download with no warning given.

Welcome to TTF.

The problem with the application and subsequent error is noted on TT's UK site here but, as you say, how would the casual user know to go there till AFTER the problematic app had been installed? And why continue offering it?

Anyway, the link provides a temporary solution (how to downgrade to an earlier app) and a fix is being tested, I know that.

My Solution

Okay...Hello all. First post here. I came across this forum after experiencing the problem of the original poster. After 3 hours of meddling and Cust Service uselessness, here is my solution:

Note: PLEASE ENSURE YOU PERFORM A BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE USING WINDOWS EXPLORER PRIOR TO PERFORMING THESE STEPS.

I have a "brand new" refurbished TT Go 740 that I ordered directly from TT online here in the US.

After connecting my unit to my PC using TT Home for the first time, it immediately notified me of a "Critical Update" to TT Home vers. 2.7.6.2056, which I completed without incident.

I then logged into TT Home using a new, free email address and connected my 740 to the PC.

TT Home then informed me of an available update to APP vers. 9054.531676.1 which I did.

After the update, of course I got the dreaded "There is a problem with your SIM card. Error code 1008" whenever I tried to access TT Live services on the device.

So I downloaded the TT "Clear Flash Tool" from here.....Clear Flash tool
Installed and ran the tool, (with the device connected to PC of course)... no problems.

I then did a "Device reset to factory settings" using the option on page 7 of preferences on the device.

I then reconnected my device to TT Home and logged in using my new email address.to double check for any further updates.

....Went back to My Tom Tom Account in preferences on my device and VOILA! I was able to log into and use any of the TT Live Services!.....No more Red Screen of Death! :D

The only issue I have is the fact that TT Home tells me my Latest Map Guarantee has expired, even though it's a brand new device to me, but that's prolly because it's a refurb unit and still has the original and presumably used SIM card in it....Same for the Live Subscription services....
....Oh, well. Time for more eye gouging fun with Customer Disservice to fix that issue! :confused:

I honestly don't know if this would work for anybody else....but it worked for me, so I thought I would share it, seeing as how many ppl seem to be having the same issue.

Good luck all, and many thanks to the Moderators and members out there who lend much of their time and expertise to us 'Newbies".

Regards....Derek.
:)

Welcome to TTF, Derek. Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting that you got the 1008 error in the States with your 740 as the great majority of 'victims' are in the UK, with very few reported in other European countries.

In any event, glad it all got sorted.

Maske sure you make an Explorer, not Home, backup.

I'm in the USA and had the SIM 1008 error. It's a generic SIM card error. In my case, it was because my LIVE account expired, and the Jaspar subscription was disabled. Tomtom has to re-enable the connection on their end, and sometimes you have to wait 24 hours after they re-enable it. With this error, downgrading to app 8.371 doesn't help any.

The UK issue is different. Many (all) people have this error on app 9.054, and the error goes away with app 8.371. So it's some bug in the software.

Last edited:
I can't believe that more than a month into the problem, a revised navcore hasn't been released. While this has been going on, my years subscription to live services has run out. I have emailed customer services to tell them that I shan't be resubscribing until the problem has been solved.

I don't know about the UK but here in North America, calls to customer support usually are more effective than emails.

You may wish to call CS at: 0845 161 0009

i have a 740 live model and as you can guess i have come across the code 1008 after a renewed my subscription today. i have read other people saying reinstall your old maps and bingo it works again.please could somebody explain to a computer thicko how to do it?
many thanks

Second Thoughts.....

I've been a true fan of TomTom right from the beginning, and have even turned a blind eye to the odd hardware and software issues in the past, - but I really feel let down by this last episode.

We all know the issue of code 1008, and if that had been fixed within the last 6 WEEKS, - maybe I would have carried on, but they also seem to have problems with the map updates for a week or more now, and much of today my TomTom has been 'unable to connect to server' for any LIVE services.

What is going on at TomTom? - it's as though they dont care.

Some sort of update on the 1008 issue would at least let everyone know they are dealing with it. - I know it's mentioned here on the thread that a fix is being tested, but thats not an official statement from TomTom, just a leaked rumour.

I'm thinking my days of defending them are numbered...

Message from TomTom Support

Below is a reply from TomTom support when asked when they will fix ver. 9.054

'This issue with the latest application has top priority with us. We hope to be able to resolve the issue with the current application. It may be however that this issue will be resolved in the next update.

Thanks so much for bearing with us, we are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.'

So could be waiting a long time!

Last edited:
I asked TomTom for an anticipated fix date and queried why the faulty software was still available as a download in TomTom Home. I got this reply:

Hi there the reason the update has not been removed form the server is because the update is not actually faulty.
The issue you are experiencing is due to the Sim ID of the vodafone sim card not being recognised by the vodafone
server when being sent using the latest application. This application works flawlessly for the majority of the customers
using it there is only a tiny percentage of customers experiencing this issue. The issue will be rectified upon release of the
next application, this should be released later this month.

anyone found the new application for a Go940

My go940 has the broken version of the app but TomTom Home claims it is up to date... Has anyone actually seen this new version of the application on their devices yet?

My go940 has the broken version of the app but TomTom Home claims it is up to date... Has anyone actually seen this new version of the application on their devices yet?

You need to remove app 9.054 in order for HOME to offer the 9.058 update.

Ask a Question