email from TT: "Introducing RDS-TMC antenna"

Two things I don't understand:

1. When is traffic via the Home app going to be available in the USA (I have a GO700, which cannot use the receiver). That should be available for free via numerous free sources via the web.

2. Given that TomTom is a GPS company (so they should have a way of knowing where their device is located), why can't their software simply disable or not even list traffic and other services that are not available in the country of residence?

1. When is traffic via the Home app going to be available in the USA (I have a GO700, which cannot use the receiver). That should be available for free via numerous free sources via the web.
Why should it? Which free sources? AFAIK, there isn't any provider of traffic info in the US that doesn't charge for their data. I believe that all healthcare should be available for free, from all healthcare providers, but it isn't.

2. Given that TomTom is a GPS company (so they should have a way of knowing where their device is located), why can't their software simply disable or not even list traffic and other services that are not available in the country of residence?
But, traffic is available in the US. Or are you talking about other countries?

Why should it? Which free sources? AFAIK, there isn't any provider of traffic info in the US that doesn't charge for their data. I believe that all healthcare should be available for free, from all healthcare providers, but it isn't.?

Okay, that's a bit of a drastic (if not at least slightly irrelevant) analogy. There are a lot of things I would love to have for free, but if I don't pony-up with at least an original hardware purchase, I don't expect to get the service for free. I purchased TomTom hardware -- hardware that, I might add, advertised on the outside of the box that it checks for local traffic when routing. I'm not expecting anything truly for free -- I'm expecting to receive advertised features with the purchase of my hardware (and software).

However, why don't they just use the same traffic source that my 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan uses, since it's completely free. Sure the cost may be hidden in the original hardware (ie, the vehicle purchase), but I have never paid a monthly fee and never had to sign up for anything, not even at the time I purchased my vehicle. Apparently, this is an FM based broadcast, as that is the only receiver that came stock in my van (I have since added after-market XM). Since I paid for my TomTom GO700, why isn't a similar free traffic service provided with the purchase of the hardware? Smells like double-dipping to me, especially since traffic information is a feature advertised on the outside of my GO700 box.

As for an internet source, www.traffic.com, just to name the obvious. It's a NavTeq service. The TomTom Rider uses NavTeq maps, so obviously TomTom devices can be made compatible with NavTeq data (if TeleAtlas doesn't offer a similar free internet based Traffic service). There is no reason why this type of traffic information shouldn't be available via the TomTom Home application, especially when it IS available in other countries (ie, Europe) via the Home application.

But, traffic is available in the US. Or are you talking about other countries?

TomTom Home reports that obtaining Traffic information via the Home application is not available in my country (which is the USA).

Traffic via the TomTom devices is still not available in the USA (or at least hasn't been until VERY recently). If it's not available in the country where you reside, why can't TomTom throw in some "smart" programing to determine what country you are operating your TomTom product in, and then grey out (or completely remove) features that are not available in that country? It's really not that difficult.

Last edited:
Hi Internetpilot,

You made a lot of comments, and I will try to respond to them all as best I can. I used to have a 700, with traffic subscription, so I think i can tell you everything you need to know.

I purchased TomTom hardware -- hardware that, I might add, advertised on the outside of the box that it checks for local traffic when routing.
Yes, and it does that. There is a *note saying that a compatible phone and subscription is also required. Luckily for those of you in the US you didn't even have to pay that subscription for at least the last year. So, you got better than was advertised. Those of us outside the US paid a subscription fee.

I'm expecting to receive advertised features with the purchase of my hardware (and software).
You did.

Apparently, this is an FM based broadcast, as that is the only receiver that came stock in my van (I have since added after-market XM).
Yes, RDS-TMC. This was never available for the 700 and it was never mentioned that it would be.

Since I paid for my TomTom GO700, why isn't a similar free traffic service provided with the purchase of the hardware?
Why should it be. There is no free source of traffic data in the US. Moreover, the 700 was never designed to use RDS-TMC.

Smells like double-dipping to me, especially since traffic information is a feature advertised on the outside of my GO700 box.
A feature that you were able to use, as advertised (but for free, instead of by subscription as advertised).

As for an internet source, www.traffic.com, just to name the obvious.
I haven't checked the T&C's of that source, but I don't have to to know that they will forbid commercial exploitation of that data or it's incorporation into other peoples products. It will be free only for personal use. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this.

There is no reason why this type of traffic information shouldn't be available via the TomTom Home application, especially when it IS available in other countries (ie, Europe) via the Home application.
The reason is as above, these sources will not allow commercial use of their 'free' data. It IS available in European countries (Europe is not a country BTW ;)) because the majority of these countries provide free traffic data.

TomTom Home reports that obtaining Traffic information via the Home application is not available in my country (which is the USA).
For the reasons mentioned above.

Traffic via the TomTom devices is still not available in the USA (or at least hasn't been until VERY recently).
It has been available for a very long time, at least the last year, longer I think. You just haven't had to pay for it.

Received the TMC antenna from TomTom

I have received the TMC antenna from TomTom. Have not had a chance to use it yet. Will try it later this week.

Just rx'd and installed RDS antenna

It took over 15 mins to get a fix and maybe that was because I finally tried to tune it manually (didn't find stations that I found on the coverage map), but I have the "green" indicator now but it didn't show any issues yet.

More later as I see more.

So far happy with the purchase - this was one of the main reasons I purchased the TT.

Feedback on the TMC

Used it this morning. Quickly picked up the radio. Told me there was a 4 minutes delay and rerouted me. Ignored the reroute to check out the delay. I was on I680 North and the delay was on I680 south. Tomtom worked fine- someone must have input the traffic information wrong (garbage in, garbage out).

Impressed

Now that I've used the RDS traffic for a week or so, I have to say I'm somewhat impressed.

One issues is that sometimes it will take up to 5 mins to find a strong enough RDS station, but once it does it seems to download the information fairly quick.
What I like most is how it will show you a bar (only if you have a delay on your route) on the right side of the display and will show you how far away you are from the incident and how much of a delay you will expierence. Very nice. I'm sure that's old hat to the folks who have used the traffic service you can get via BB download, but I like it.

I only wish that I didn't have to have a route programmed to get the traffic info on the main display. If they could program in an alert for upcoming traffic issues like you can with POI's that would be great.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, but I'm wondering how they are going to turn my service off after the first free year of service.

From what I have read it is compatable in the USA, which is awesome for me. Plus its free for 1 year. even better news. But the question I have and I have not seen it mentioned is how much is it going to cost AFTER the year subscription runs out? Its $129.00 for the unit, free with the tt910t. but i have yet to see a price for a subscription. Anyone have any ideas?

Foxbreakr

Now that I've used the RDS traffic for a week or so, I have to say I'm somewhat impressed.

One issues is that sometimes it will take up to 5 mins to find a strong enough RDS station, but once it does it seems to download the information fairly quick.
What I like most is how it will show you a bar (only if you have a delay on your route) on the right side of the display and will show you how far away you are from the incident and how much of a delay you will expierence. Very nice. I'm sure that's old hat to the folks who have used the traffic service you can get via BB download, but I like it.

I only wish that I didn't have to have a route programmed to get the traffic info on the main display. If they could program in an alert for upcoming traffic issues like you can with POI's that would be great.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, but I'm wondering how they are going to turn my service off after the first free year of service.

After you get a lock and the update has been complete, but before you program a route into your unit:
1) touch the traffice bar, this will bring you to the menu
2) second page, browse map
3) center map on your current location via the find button to GPS position, or the GPS button on the browse map screen (item C page 38 of the manual)
4) by hitting a specific trafic delay icon or the right side arrow, it will bring to a new map screen with not only the map of the dealy but a text version of the delay under the map.
5) Continue to hit the right arrow and it will bring you to the next delay on the map based on your gps position

From what I have read it is compatable in the USA, which is awesome for me. Plus its free for 1 year. even better news. But the question I have and I have not seen it mentioned is how much is it going to cost AFTER the year subscription runs out? Its $129.00 for the unit, free with the tt910t. but i have yet to see a price for a subscription. Anyone have any ideas?

Foxbreakr

After the first year, it's $60.00 a year. The data is provided by Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network.

I pre-ordered one from TigerGPS.com back in Sept. 2006 and they just shipped it. Should arrive on 10/8. The best thing is they charged me the price I pre-ordered at which was $59.95.

Michael

Ask a Question