Early look at the iPhone application

TomTom Model(s)
720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
(wake up Mike...) to let us know what map version it runs, whether mapshare works. whether any LIVE services of any sort are available, etc. And overall how it compares to a dedicated PND.

I do have to sleep from time to time!!

UK & ROI map version is v830 so its based on the same map as was released nearly three months ago for the PND units. Application is v8,150 (339085).

If its got TTS then I have not looked hard enough as I cannot find it, just the standard human recorded voices are on offer, no options at all within the application that are TTS related.

IQ Routes-2 are installed and work just as well as the PND will the same number of options.

Call POI is very well set up, probably the best yet in this area

Music (if playing) is simply paused during Navigation instructions and isn't as well handled as Navigon with their lowering of the volume during instructions.

TomTom have included their Safety Camera database on the device, but the display can get messy from time to time with the road name appearing over the top of the speed limit:

And with limitted Custom POI choices it looks like they don't want users using third party POI files on this, you can add custom POI files to the software in the same way as the PND units BUT there is no way of setting a warning up, all you can do is select it as visible on the map. Note to add custom POI files requires a Jailbroken phone.

(No guesses as to which are the first Custom POI files to get loaded!)

And what do they look like on the map:

Full postcode support is supplied and uses v830 postcode data.

I wanted to put the Liz Whitaker custom voice on the application (she is a local radio DJ in the North of the UK), I added the file and the application refused to see the voice, in the end I renamed the file to one of the existing un wanted voices and copied that to the iPhone (jailbroken) and it works, so I can drive to work complete with the navigation voice I want to use :D its a shame though I cannot have custom POI warnings using the same voice like I can with the PND and PDA software. - More later - Mike

Now that Navigon has added TTS, automatic day/night mode, location sharing and iPod control at no additional charge, TomTom's iPhone app is looking even less competitive. This is the second update from Navigon since it's release, both free, and ALK/Co-Pilot has also released an update in the past few days. If TomTom had planned for a paid update to add features like lane assist/junction view, TTS and auto day/night, no way that's going to fly now. So far the TT iPhone app is far behind Navigon in the features department. Tme for TomTom to step up and show why they're one of the pnd leaders. They're certainly capable.

I tried the new Navigon app out in the car earlier today and I have to say the TTS works very well, this is starting to look like the first true iPhone Nav app that works as a user wants it to, its got all the important bits that you previously only found on a dedicated PND. Its a bit slower to load up since the update, but in use on the road it really is very good, the addition of the iPOD control from the main nav screen is a very neat feature. The update also retained some of my previous set up such as Home location which is a nice bonus.

For UK use I would currently rate the main nav apps for the iPhone in the following order:

1/ Navigon (it just works so very well, but please give us full postcode support ASAP)
2/ Sygic (needs an update to the user interface, but still very good app)
3/ I-Go (Its a decent app but one that I simply don't get on with - no idea why, but its not for me)
4/ Co-Pilot (the recent update has been a backward step so its moved down to No-4)
5/ TomTom (Too basic and relies upon the brand name too highly)

I try to use the applications in equal amounts to stay current with each one, and the above order is based upon many days of driving with each application, after a while its easy to pick the order based upon which app you would launch by choice when driving long distance, none of them are perfect and each has positive/ negative aspects, but currently Navigon is in a class of its own - The only let down is the lack of full postcode support but this is a UK specific issue, if they add this capability they really would see sales start to grow as its something we Brits take for granted on a nav device these days. I still consider Navigon top of the pile though even without full postcodes.

The only other thing I would like to see iPhone Navigation applications sort out are the updates, its quite ridiculous having to download 1,7GB of map data for what should have been a simple update for a single app. The download bandwidth isn't an issue for me but it takes ages to install to the iPhone, I just fail to see the need to download data users already have on the their devices - Mike

I can't speak to what all will be included, but TomTom did release the information below on the iTunes page. In mentioned that there will be update(s) coming in 2009 that will be free to all who have purchased the app.

The ultimate goal is to add as many of the features and technologies that TomTom is renowned for as possible to the TomTom app.

TomTom is also conscious of the feedback that users give through iTunesand regards this as valuable input to making the TomTom app better and better.

TomTom will launch several updates by the end of 2009 that will include improvements on the general performance of the app, as well as additional features and technologies.

All of the updates that TomTom will launch in 2009 will be free to customers that have bought the TomTom app before the update release!

Thanks for the post. TomTom will certainly need to do some upgrades to their app to stay competitive, especially at their price-point. Good to see they've realized that feature add-ons probably can't be additional charges. All their primary competitors have already released free updates and feature additions so any charges from TT would be tough to support..

Navigon put even more pressure on TomTom today. They've announced availability of "Live Trafffic" reportedly supplied by Inrix. The price is right at a flat fee of just $24.99, but apparently will have it on sale for $19.99 for the next month. That makes them the 3rd iPhone nav app provider to roll out traffic services, the others being Telenav and Gokivo.

Ask a Question