Dumb CA mount question

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom Go 910
I know you can't use the screen mount in CA. I'm off on a trip there in a couple of weeks and would like to know if anyone knows of a cheap/non permanent (hire car friendly) mount solution which doesn't involve cutting up my screen mount?

I like my screen mount and I don't want to kill it!!! :D

There are some vent mounts that you can find on eBay but I believe the quality is questionable.

Just search on eBay and you should be able to find some.

If your going to be using it a few days, I think it will be no biggie.
I always see other people on the road use their TomTom, Garmin, etc on the windshields.

MarkA,

I just returned from a trip to southern Ca. I had the same consern before we left.

We rented a van (5 people) and I simply placed the ( fully charged) 510 in a pull out cup tray (with out the mount) in the dash. It was still open view enough to receive a good signal most of the time. I have done the same thing here at home in a Camry. Its amazing how well it does pick up, away from direct windshield placement.

But I was navigating while someone else was driving. I did all the programming. The driver did learn to listen to the 510 instead of looking at it. Occasionaly asking me what road is next, but trusting it more as we went along.

This may not work for you, but you don't need direct windshield placement.

Randy

I'm about to buy a 910, and I live in California. In addition to the legal issue, my car's dash is deep and the windshield is far away, so I suspect the windshield mount won't work for me.

I've looked at the threads on clever modded mounts, but I'm afraid I'm not handy enough to make my own. So I'll have to buy something ready made. Question: One of the alternative mount kits TomTom sells (for the lower-numbered GO models) includes an adhesive disk you can use with the suction cup mount. Would this work for the 910... is it the right size? Also, does anyone know if TomTom is planning to release an alternative mount kit for the 910? It seems a glaring omission, since they're selling the device in states that outlaw windshield mounts.

Will I be able to use any connectors if I end up not using the windshield mount? Like for the car charger power cord?

I'm not too worried about reception in alternate positions, since around here it's clear skies with few tall buildings to cause interference.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll risk it and see - if there's a problem I'll probably just play dumb (I have an English accent - I can do dumb forigner...) :)

It's that or getting a dashboard disk - I'm guessing those are glued on though?

The dashboard disk is a good size for the 910 mount to sit on. They sell these individual as well.
The disk has an adhesive on it.

I'm about to buy a 910, and I live in California. In addition to the legal issue, my car's dash is deep and the windshield is far away, so I suspect the windshield mount won't work for me.

I've looked at the threads on clever modded mounts, but I'm afraid I'm not handy enough to make my own. So I'll have to buy something ready made. Question: One of the alternative mount kits TomTom sells (for the lower-numbered GO models) includes an adhesive disk you can use with the suction cup mount. Would this work for the 910... is it the right size? Also, does anyone know if TomTom is planning to release an alternative mount kit for the 910? It seems a glaring omission, since they're selling the device in states that outlaw windshield mounts.

Will I be able to use any connectors if I end up not using the windshield mount? Like for the car charger power cord?

I'm not too worried about reception in alternate positions, since around here it's clear skies with few tall buildings to cause interference.

Thanks!

Emily,

It is VERY VERY VERY easy to make the mount like Pedro and I have. If you know what a screwdriver is you can do it!

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2051

You can see how I did this....VERY easy and parts shipped very fast.

Another solution I considered was this....it is a cupholder mount......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Cup-Holder-...0-510-GPS_W0QQitemZ170104454564QQcmdZViewItem

I personally find I can use the 910 anywhere in the car. When I have passengers they want to see it and I just take it out of the mount I fabricated and pass it back to them.

Welcome and good luck!!!!!

I'm also looking for a place to mount my new 910 in my '05 subaru legacy.

Itsme....

Take a look at proclips....once you find a place (proclip) for your 910 then you can order the EXACT same parts that Pedro2nr and I did. Very easy assembly....

Here is a link to the proclips...put in your car make and model and it will show you what they have.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp

Choose the vehicle mount option. You wont need the "2 part" solution they talk about because your other parts will be RAM stuff that Pedro talked about.

Good Luck:)

Thanks!

You can get them from ebay. However, please stay tuned!

Why? Do you know of something else coming down the pike?

I'm pretty handy in other ways, but I've had bad luck with trying to open up gadgets and electronics. I'll definitely consider it if the disk doesn't work for me (I just realized that a large part of my dashboard is curved rather than flat).

I like the idea of a cup holder mount, but my car's front cupholders are the flimsy pull-out kind.

There's an empty rectangular space in my control panel above the radio (I guess for a stereo component my model wasn't equipped with) that I've been eyeing. I think something might work with that unused area.

With your modded mounts, are you able to use any of the plug-in ports?

Thanks!

Why? Do you know of something else coming down the pike?

I'm pretty handy in other ways, but I've had bad luck with trying to open up gadgets and electronics. I'll definitely consider it if the disk doesn't work for me (I just realized that a large part of my dashboard is curved rather than flat).

I like the idea of a cup holder mount, but my car's front cupholders are the flimsy pull-out kind.

There's an empty rectangular space in my control panel above the radio (I guess for a stereo component my model wasn't equipped with) that I've been eyeing. I think something might work with that unused area.

With your modded mounts, are you able to use any of the plug-in ports?

Emily,

Yes....all of my plug ins....very easy...better than with leaning forward with the standard mount.....heck....Ill help you with it.....its not hard.......

First...determine where you WANT the 910....then let us help you in getting the correct stuff to make it happen...........

Regards!

CA windshield mounts

Don't worry about it. I have had other "devices" on my windshield for 16 years and only learned fairly recently that it was against a DMV regulation.

The same general regulation states anything that is in a position to obstruct views through the windshield is also illegal - but the roads are packed with car with all kinds of junk swinging from the rear view mirror. I have never heard of anyone being cited for it.

I recently heard about this law... and I conducted a search in this forum to see if it has been touched (so I don't recreate a new thread) [But please direct me to a current or detailed thread if it does exist--thanks in advance]

If you follow this link (click here) It will take you to the California Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View Law.

While reading it, I found something that might help us defend ourselves.. maybe you read it, so I am understanding this correctly.. (I'll quote the content...)

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

I highlighted in Bold the section that might help us. I am wondering if a GPS unit would be considered as an electronic communication device that help us use it for traffic management? Anyone?

The part that you really want to read it:

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.
GPS units fall under "Other Materials" so if you place it on the drivers left in that area your OK.

As soon as I get my new mount for my Civic I'll post. It will mount on the A-pillar so it won't be limited to the 5 inch square on the windshield and thus can be much higher.

Last edited:
Not that I'm endorsing flaunting the law, nor is it my intention to brag so please don't take this as such -

But I've had windshield mounts in CA for the last 3 years and never been stopped or questioned about it. I've had numerous CHP and local officers look in my car at various times, including at a DUI checkpoint or two with my GPS on the windshield and it's never been an issue...

Has anybody actually been cited or warned about a windshield mount in CA?

Like most (if not all) my mount was done on my windshield because I had no idea that there was such a law until recently... I can also plead ignorance as my cars are registered out of state...

Ask a Question