Dual Boot TomTom (not so much)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I recently realized that my GO 720 was no longer speaking to me. Sometimes I turn the voice off, even though I still play MP3 via the FM, and also use the Bluetooth handsfree.

But now travelling to CT from JFK on a business trip I really wanted the directions read to me and could not for the life of me get the 720 to cooperate. I checked and rechecked all the settings, tried switching voices, but nothing worked. When I used the Test button for the different voices I just got ... silence.

Finally I popped out the SD car and guess what - all is well. It turns out I must have performed the upgrade to 7.481 onto my SD card. When I switched the unit on, all appears to be well. The display has the new changes (vertical bars, etc). However a few things (such as speaking, VR) are broken.

When I pop the SD and restart - I am back with a working TT. I even get the reboot drums and confirmation that my phone has been detected. and one big bonus - it is running at v7.221 (whoo hoo!).

Anyone know whether installing an upgrade onto the SD card is even vaguely legit?

I am also conflicted about re-upgrading to 7.481 on the internal memory. Is restoring a backup guaranteed to get me back to the same state if 7.481 turns out to be a nightmare for me?

Rob

7.4xx broke stuff for a lot of folks. I guess I was lucky and everything still worked. But to answer your question, you can run whichever version you want. Infact you should have a backup of all the navcores that you have downloaded. Just launch tomtom home, go to tools -->tomtom home preferences --> and check under folder preferences. It will give you locations of every little thing tomtom home does. If you browse your download folder, all your navcores would be under programs.
Also different users have posted on how to fix 7.481 by adding some older files to ASR folder, just do a search. HTH:D

I recently realized that my GO 720 was no longer speaking to me. Sometimes I turn the voice off, even though I still play MP3 via the FM, and also use the Bluetooth handsfree.

But now travelling to CT from JFK on a business trip I really wanted the directions read to me and could not for the life of me get the 720 to cooperate. I checked and rechecked all the settings, tried switching voices, but nothing worked. When I used the Test button for the different voices I just got ... silence.

Finally I popped out the SD car and guess what - all is well. It turns out I must have performed the upgrade to 7.481 onto my SD card. When I switched the unit on, all appears to be well. The display has the new changes (vertical bars, etc). However a few things (such as speaking, VR) are broken.

When I pop the SD and restart - I am back with a working TT. I even get the reboot drums and confirmation that my phone has been detected. and one big bonus - it is running at v7.221 (whoo hoo!).

Anyone know whether installing an upgrade onto the SD card is even vaguely legit?

I am also conflicted about re-upgrading to 7.481 on the internal memory. Is restoring a backup guaranteed to get me back to the same state if 7.481 turns out to be a nightmare for me?

Rob

I suspect one of three things happened:
1) You chose to use Home's menu option to Switch Device--external SD
2) When the unit started up while docked, it asked if you wanted internal or external, and you chose external
3) When downloading the firmare update, the installation process 'saw' there wasn't enough space on internal and put the files on the sd card.

In any event, the way the unit works, when you boot up, it senses where the operating system is and boots to that. So, it picked the card and, as you have seen, the combo of 7.481 and VR don't work well together for some people.

So, my suggestion since you seem to have 7.221 on internal is first make a complete backup of internal using Explorer, not TTHome. Make sure Windows shows hidden files and shows extensions for known file types. After doing so, delete everything from the root of the sd card. No folders.

I suspect one of three things happened:
1) You chose to use Home's menu option to Switch Device--external SD
2) When the unit started up while docked, it asked if you wanted internal or external, and you chose external
3) When downloading the firmare update, the installation process 'saw' there wasn't enough space on internal and put the files on the sd card.

In any event, the way the unit works, when you boot up, it senses where the operating system is and boots to that. So, it picked the card and, as you have seen, the combo of 7.481 and VR don't work well together for some people.

So, my suggestion since you seem to have 7.221 on internal is first make a complete backup of internal using Explorer, not TTHome. Make sure Windows shows hidden files and shows extensions for known file types. After doing so, delete everything from the root of the sd card. No folders.

Thanks for the advice dhn. I did two backups TTHome and Explorer (they checked out the same), then upgraded. Bingo, 7.481 is installed and working well. Even the VR worked without any further tweaks.

Ask a Question