downloading routes on the TOMTOM iPhone app

Hi,

can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial to download routes on my iPhone app? We enjoy motorbike tours and often other members created a detailed route in another navigation device (TomTom or ohterwise). What are my options for converting and downloading those routes?

cheers

HP

As far as I know, you would have to convert the route to a destination using the long and lat coordinates and then send to yourself via email or other method with following scheme:

tomtomhome://geo:action=show&lat=mylat&long=mylong&name=myname

So if you wanted to navigate to apple's cupertino campus in california you would send an email to yourself with:

tomtomhome:geo:lat=37.331752&long=-122.02962&name=Apple

When you click on that on the iphone, it opens up TomTom app and asks you if you want to navigate to that destination.

An easy way to get the lat/long coordinates is using google maps and the send option. Choose GPS as device and tomtom. It will ask you have tomtom installed on your computer. Say yes and choose the rightmost graphic (two graphics). It will then try and open in safari and you will get a failed to open page but it will show you the whole tomtom url scheme as i posted above.

The iPhone app only supports navigation to a single destination it does not support itinerary planning which is what the OP is on about.
Without Itinerary support you can't import your mates files to the iPhone app - Mike

Can send routes to TomTom

The iPhone app includes the map share facility to email routes to other TT Iphone apps using the format shown above.

I'd also recommend Nearby.org.uk which will convert virtually any coord into most others, including (for UK users) the nearest postcode.

There is also a trial feature to email Lat/Long coords to your iPhone at: nearby.org.uk/sendto.php? Input your coordinates and email address (the label is optional).

So if you can get any kind of coordinate from the other devices, you can email it to your iPhone app.

Finally, multipoint routing has just been introduced on v1.8 but unfortunately the route share email provides only start and final destination details.

The iPhone app only supports navigation to a single destination it does not support itinerary planning which is what the OP is on about.
Without Itinerary support you can't import your mates files to the iPhone app - Mike

There are first reports in another topic that the new v1.8 DOES support "multi-point routing". I'm guessing that means Itinerary Planning, but I've asked for some detailed confirmation of that.

Answering my own question...
It looks like they have implemented the "5 waypoint Multi-Point Journey" feature I'd seen on another model, but NOT full Itinerary planning.

Indeed the V1,8 does support the five point itinerary planning, when I last posted in this thread only V1,7 was available in the public domain - Mike

So still of no use to the OP, who wants to import routes from other people.

TomTom are going to get another rollocking from their loyal customers for this! I think they have good reason to believe they were promised proper itinerary planning like before (including being able to save and load the files..

The only way I know to share a route would be to use a custom POI file e-mailed to multiple users, the POI files is then sent to the TomTom app using DiskAid/ PhoneAid, you can then add the via's as POI locations, this is a cludge work around but can be done with V1,8.

For more than five stops simply add each POI location with a numeric value that starts at 1 going up to whatever number you want, the five stop limitation simply means you load the route in steps of five (not very effective for a long trip) - Mike

Ask a Question