Download update?

Hello all.

I just got a TomTom XL-S and I still haven't connected it to my PC. I read online that some people that have downloaded the update crashed their TomTom. Is there any advice before I connect this to my PC so I don't crash it?

I've read the sticky on connecting it first time, but that's seems it's for the 910.

Thanks

Hello all.

I just got a TomTom XL-S and I still haven't connected it to my PC. I read online that some people that have downloaded the update crashed their TomTom. Is there any advice before I connect this to my PC so I don't crash it?

I've read the sticky on connecting it first time, but that's seems it's for the 910.

Thanks

Backup the entire contents of your unit using Windows Explorer, not TomTom Home to a folder on your computer. Connect your unit to the cpu and start TTHome. It should offer updates for the firmware on your unit, for TomTom Home (released today) and perhaps for your map. Take them all. Do not be alarmed if you do have a map download and it takes a great deal of time (over an hour or so, depending upon the map size).

After all your updates, disconnect the unit from the omputer PROPERLY by using TomTom's Home software menu option to Disconnect Device AND by using the usb connection symbol in your notification area to stop usb devices properly.

If all is ok, power down your unit. Power it back up. Do things appear ok? If so, connect to the computer again and make ANOTHER full backup using Explorer to a DIFFERENT folder than the first one on your computer (the first is a 'safety net' in case something is wonky with your unit).

Follow the threads for your device in this and other TomTom forums on the net. Ask questions. Download the manual for your unit and read it. Make sure you've set up an account at TomTom.com.

Play with the unit to see what you can -- and cannot -- do.

Have fun.

And I will add to the excellent suggestion - make sure that you allow Windows' Explorer to show all kinds of files including Hidden Files and System files before doing BOTH backups. You want to copy EVERYTHING.

And one more suggestion I saw somewhere - if you can, burn that backup(s) to a DVD or cd so you have it in case your computer has other problems.

And to be frank, I have NOT had any problems with using the usb with my 920 both under Explorer and or TT's Home application.

Ask a Question