Don't send your data to TomTom via map share.

Discussion in 'Maps and Routing' started by feejo, Apr 6, 2008.

1. feejo

feejo

TomTom Model(s):
    XL-S
    As mapshare is a big disapointment for most people, many send changes long time ago and din't see any difference on their map. I disable my change sharings. I will not send anything to Tomtom. It is just created because their map suck and they want to make more profits: by using people to be slave and work for nothing and they are the one that making profit out of it saying they have the most up to date map. I am sure I am not the only one that stop to send to Tomtom, cause I am getting less and less map update.

Here the message you will get by removing yourselve from their information collect and a error message after.

Attached Files:

• k.jpg
      k.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
    • k1.jpg
      k1.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
    feejo, Apr 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. feejo

Timon

TomTom Model(s):
    GO920T
    That's very short sighted and somewhat selfish but do as you wish. As for me I'll send in changes because they do show up.

Timon, Apr 6, 2008
    1 person likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. feejo

F22

I am beginning to feel like the original poster. TT has cheated me out of the European map updates for the 920. And they are charging a lot of money for new maps that I have helped "fix" if I submit mapshare info. What's that old expression - one hand washes the other. TT has not done me any favors and I may return that in kind!!!! Customer relations work in both directions and TT seems to have forgotten that.

F22, Apr 6, 2008
  4. feejo

thaJack

TomTom Model(s):
    Go 700 and Go 720
    I do agree that the users who are submitting a decent number of MapShare update should get at least a significant discount on updated maps.

Not so much for the anonymous usage data... yes, it will help make the IQ routing better, but you're not putting any time and effort into it. Mapshare, on the other hand, you are. I submit Mapshare changes that I would never give a crap about personally, just because I feel like they should be there.

thaJack, Apr 7, 2008
  5. feejo

Michael Quinlan

TomTom Model(s):
    Go 920
    I think many of us who visit forums like this put our GPS units through the ringer locally, in areas we are familiar with, in order to get a feel for how the device will perform in area we're not familiar with. If we each submitted updates where needed for our local area, the maps would be bound to improve. After all, who better to recommend map updates than the people who use the roads in question on a daily basis?

I'm new to MapShare, Tomtom, and Teleatlas for that matter, so I don't have the same perspective that many of you have. I would be happy to upload my MapShare changes, but the changes I make to my maps are made specifically to account for roadway restrictions on commercial vehicles.

To each his own I guess.

Michael Quinlan, Apr 7, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  6. feejo

feejo

TomTom Model(s):
    XL-S
    How can say to own the right of the map? The map modified by mapshare? Somehow they can't release a map with people update and pretend they have the right about it.

feejo, Apr 7, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. feejo

Gilbert

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE XL-S
    They sure can claim the right to MapShare supplied corrections because MapShare users can't claim any right for their supplied updates. You relese those rights when you submit them much the same as making them public domain.

TeleAtlas would probably tell you they had to send an employee worth 90,000$ a year with a 60,000$ truck that has 50,000$ worth of gps and electronic equipment to verify and detail your supplied corrections and the new data needs to be fed to a cartographer with a 105,000$ yearly cost before the maps are actually corrected.

I guess you never read software EULAs... The rights of consumers are feeble when compared to companies and manufacturers.

Gilbert, Apr 8, 2008
  8. feejo

Nextourer

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE v2
    That's why Pedro had that thread going. If more people submitted the error, the chances of it getting updated is better. (I know the submissions I made to TT before Mapshare was getting through cause I checked TeleAtlas' website and the changes were made!)

Nextourer, Apr 8, 2008
  9. feejo

Michael Quinlan

TomTom Model(s):
    Go 920
    Exactly. The preceived validity of user-submitted MapShare updates is directly propotional to the number of users that submit the update. With increased validity comes an increased priority for verification and inclusion in future updates from Teleatlas and/or TomTom.

Michael Quinlan, Apr 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question