Dont like this new XL2 IQ routes model!

Can anyone help convince me to keep the TomTom XL2 IQ routes I bought for Christmas?

Used it in Edinburgh for our usual Hogmanay trip, but it was awful. Can you switch off the IQ routes because I just dont understand how it can decide to send me back to Carlisle down farm tracks and country lanes instead of the main route which my old 910 would have took me.

On the City of Edinbugh bypass, it tried to advise me to get off at the wrong junctions twice (even the old TomTom 910 I had was more accurate and advised the proper Hillend route). Even when I got on the A702 which should send me through Biggar and down the M74, 5 times it wanted me to go off down lanes and even a farm track and on a two hour scenic tour of the Scottish Borders. If this is what IQ routes mean, then I need to switch it off or get rid. I cant be adding about 2 hours to my 7 hour journey with this nonsense.

Also, when you go past a suggested route, it takes AGES to work out a new route. You end up travelling about a mile before any new instructions!!

Very disappointed that so many features on my 4 year old 910 are not on this 'new' model. If this IQ routes model is more of a 'scenic' routes model, should I keep my old 910 ?? Its nice to have a slimmer model but I want it to send me down main roads. I cant find a way of switching the options like I did on the 910 (fastest, shortest routes etc). HELP!!

Welcome to TTF.

That model comes with EasyMenu and that means significantly fewer user options, as you've found out.

For instance, the ONLY routing option is 'fastest' and IQ routing always on. Clearly, the mapping data seems to be showing the roads selected were the fastest for the time you were travelling.

Would I convince you to keep the unit? On the contrary, we always try to steer users AWAY from any model with the EasyMenu (that includes the Start models and any model with a '2' in the name such as 'edition2') and into models with the full menu options.

I'd consider returning it and getting one of the XL LIVE IQ Routes models (but not the edition2 model) or the XXL LIVE IQ Routes Edition Europe.

I'd also stay away from the 1000, 1005 and the VIA models at this time.

Supermod Mikealder is UK based and probably will appear in this thread with other model suggestions. But trust me, he will NOT try to convince you to keep the Start2 either. ;)

So you recommend the XL Live UK&Europe? Does this have more of the options like I used to get on my old 910? I miss being able to travel via a specific point, and think I will end up throwing it out of the window if it is so inaccurate. I really appreciate your help as I feel I have done the wrong thing buying this XL2 UK&Europe

Wait for mikealder to make his recommendations. If he doesn't appear within 24 hours, send him a pm.

Strange it took you off the main A702 though as I have driven that route many times with lots of different nav units and non deviate from the main road.

As for other models the XL IQ Live or the XL IQ are both good machines as they dont have the dumbed down menu the _2 models got. Otherwise for just UK use consider a Go-550 Live as these have all the menu options and the all important memory card slot, see Here for a very good price on a refurb unit. Don't get too hung up about the refurb part though as you still get the warranty and most that I have seen are fitted with what appears to be a new screen! - Mike

I have the XL2 IQ (think it's the XL350 in USA), got it for xmas. I actually find it very good, it hasnt sent me down any country lanes. I stay in Edinburgh and have used it for going to the west coast.

Easymenu kind of sucks, however there were updates last year which gave most of the options back that were missing. Make sure you have connected it to TomTom Home and updated the firmware and got the latest maps for free.

I actually really like mine now. I love the windscreen mount, it's very neat and stays stuck. the only things I wish for are more speedcams options and the ability to enter GPS co-ordinates and I'd like to be able to edit my favourites by adjusting the co-ordinates too.

@mccririck

You know, depending upon whether you're planning visits to geo coordinates in advance, or are just doing it on the spur of the moment, there may be a solution for you (in the former instance). We've never talked at length about why you need coordinate entry in particular. I use it for entirely oddball reasons, and would also miss it if it were not available.

It is possible to create a custom POI and add a few dummy points to it. Granted, you can't use coordinate data to create each POI point, but stay with me a sec.

After you've got a few dummy entries built, you can use the Tyre utility to open your POI file and using "Edit" on an entry, directly manipulate the latitude and longitude coordinate data for each POI entry. It only provides for DD.ddddd format, so you'd have to get your location in that format first.

Thanks for your help. I think I will try and take it back and swap it for the xl live uk & europe model. I think I am right in saying that this model has the extended menu system and a few other new options. When I plan a route, I usually add a via so that it takes me down the road I want to go. i.e. it may seem quicker to go through Bradford centre to get to Skipton but I would rather go round the edges!! I too like the slim model, the way it sticks to the windscreen, and also the nice picture it draws when you get to a motorway junction (not enough of these though, I really love them!!). Cheers

Swapped the xl2 for a 'live' model. Great to have the full menu back, shame the street names arent spoken though. The thing is, I have installed it with the computer, set up an account etc through TomTom Home, but it wants me to purchase the maps!! I thought it said map guarantee, where you can can the latest map for free. It states that there were 3 map updates but wants me to pay. Not on. Does anyone know what I can do about it. Seems a con to me. Also, now I have installed it, does my 12 months free live services start from today? THANKS

Did you use a different email address for the new unit than the previous model when you registered the unit at tomtom.com? You should.

You also are entitled to the LMG within 30 days of first use. Call CS if you aren't getting offered that (but do so only if you are associating the unit with a new email address. Doesn't even have to be real, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format).

i didnt even get the chance to register the old one so this is a totally new account. there is nowhere that states on the site where to go for the free latest map guarantee. when i click on latest maps, it shows a fee

In Home's-->Tools-->Latest Map guarantee. Is that where you are looking?

If so and you are getting that message, it may be an indication that you have gotten a refurbished unit, not a new one.

What is the map version on your unit? It should be 860.

UK Customer Support is: 0845 161 0009

Excellent, thanks so much, its up in the Tools section with 'latest map guarantee' as you said. Kind Regards to you

Canderson, on my XL2 IQ Europe you can only change the name and telephone number of a POI.
Could be an issue of the bloody EasyMenu system being short (again) on features. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, if that is the case. Other models provide the following options:

Delete the POI
Rename the POI
Change the POI phone number
Change the POI category
Move the POI on the map

The smaller menu is pathetic on those models. You cant choose anything, not even a via. Glad I took my xl2 back and got live instead

The worst thing about Easymenu is they decided to disable many of the features that people find useful. Why on earth would they do that?

Ask a Question