Don't buy Tomtom One 3rd if you're from Europe

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom one
I have a BIG problem with this device, you can only have either Western Europe or Eastern Europe which is sh*t when you live in Central Europe or just Europe full stop. It clearly wasn't designed for the EU/Schengen/Euro market.

Sold to me as easy to buy and download maps onto, only they don't fit onto the fully unupgradable device since Tomtom in whatever spasm of unintellience decided to disallow any changing of memory capacity. Why why why why WHY?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So when travelling around Europe I have to carry a laptop with me containing both E Europe and W Europe maps on it it so I can delete the last and upload the new when I cross over the borders which incidentally doesn't exist anymore!

A total waste of money. And it has the potential to be so nice. Idiots! Well I certainly won't be buying new maps for it for obvious reasons.

Sorry, rant over but I'm mad:mad:

Ilah

actually, tomtom is a dutch company, so your claim that the tomtom isn't meant for europeans is a bit unfounded. from what i've heard tomtom and tele atlas supposedly have better maps in europe than any other GPS or map provider. other models also have SD card support and can fit more than one set of maps.

The One 3rd Edition is the low end entry model, meant for people who mostly stay in their own country. Other TomTom models would have fulfilled your requirements. You certainly should have done a little more research before buying. You were no doubt attracted by a low price and you jumped!

Aaahhh! A Dutch company, that makes sense then! I've lived Holland for 10 years and the country is full of things that are missing but that's another story. If I'd have known it was Dutch I wouldn't have touched 20 foot barge pole!

It was never my intention to buy a sat-nav system, I'm a phenomenal map reader, it was my useless-@-navigating-&-can't-drive-a-car boyfriend who bought it on a whim. He only got that too because he thought we didn't need a big screen, bluetooth, FM transmitter blah blah blah which was right, what's the point and it had nothing to do with price. A friend has the exact same one only bought a few months earlier that can have a new memory card shoved into it and it apparently appears that it is the latest version that has been crippled hopefully to it's death.

Also this "new redeeming feature" isn't mentioned on the nice shiny orange (had to be orange didn't it) packaging nor is it mentioned on their website but hey, you can buy memory cards for Tomtom One which is what we actually expected to do. It was also sold easy to buy maps for and upload onto to. Noone can deny that many people who have bought this have been shocked to learn that you can't put new memory in it without some serious knowledge of electronics and it is a mistake being echoed accross the globe since you can install new memory into just about everything that requires it these days.

Sorry but I feel, like many others, that we were conned and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone

I am sorry for you that spent money and did not get what you imagined you would.

You say that your 'nearly good for nothing' boy friend is responsible for the choice of model but then you say we were conned.

Before buying my GPS I red through the manufacturers description and reviews of their own, as well as competitive lines, trying to make sense out of that vast number of models offered.
As we all have learned, what matters is which items are not included in the lesser priced model.
After deciding which features are of importance one can then look at the best price available.

I am sure you do not really believe your comparison of single purpose electronic gadgets to computers. Have seen mobile phones, iPods, etc. that can be upgraded after purchase.

I have a few issues with TomTom but it is not really fair to besmirch a manufacturer for ones own lack of pre-purchase research.

Ask a Question