Don't Buy A Tomtom!!!

I am taking my TomTom back and exchanging it for a different brand because TomTom's do not work with one of the most popular phones and phone services: the Treo 700 series phones from Verizon. If I had known this before buying the TomTom, I would not have bought it and saved myself alot of time and trouble. Save yourself LOTS of aggravation and take the unit back if you want traffic and weather features on the TomTom. Thanks!!

I am taking my TomTom back and exchanging it for a different brand because TomTom's do not work with one of the most popular phones and phone services: the Treo 700 series phones from Verizon. If I had known this before buying the TomTom, I would not have bought it and saved myself alot of time and trouble. Save yourself LOTS of aggravation and take the unit back if you want traffic and weather features on the TomTom. Thanks!!

Just finished up my free 90 day usage of traffic. In that period I was on the road 71 days and legally logged 37,690 miles. In that period of time i made 7 round trips to the west coast and numerous trips up and down I-95 from the south-east to new england. Needless to say, I had my share of passing thru most every metropolitan city in our fair land. [always rush hour of course]

At this point, I wouldn't give tomtom $5.00 for a years subscription. Way to flaky and inconsistant to really be a benifit at this time. Warnings were few and far between. Many,many times i'd be stuck in hellatious traffic jams and hardly ever a peep from traffic. I could go on and on......but it's not worth it.

Since my computer came equipped with :) google search engine:) ....... i knew exactly what to expect from the traffic option before i purchased [the 720] it. I also knew from searching google that the traffic option was free. I had a few connection problems with verizon at first, but google once again provided me with a workable solution for that.

No comment about the weather....... just didn't see the need to call up that option, with the exception of testing.

That is not the case at all. I have a Treo and i have Verizon, i they work together. You need to have a data plan, and tethering enabled by verizon. then you will see many posts both by me andd others as to how to get it to work.
As for chilli cat, I would pay much more than $5.00 per month for the traffic service. If all i got was the antena, which i had, yes the service is late and very spotty or none at all. Wth a data plan and the right carrier, then the service is simply fantastic.

That is not the case at all. I have a Treo and i have Verizon, i they work together. You need to have a data plan, and tethering enabled by verizon. then you will see many posts both by me andd others as to how to get it to work.
As for chilli cat, I would pay much more than $5.00 per month for the traffic service. If all i got was the antena, which i had, yes the service is late and very spotty or none at all. Wth a data plan and the right carrier, then the service is simply fantastic.
What area have you found it to be fantastic?

That's the key. This is NOT TTs fault, it is Verizon's limitation placed on the phone. Doesn't tethering cost extra from Verizon?

Got The Bugger Working!

Someone on this thred mentioned activating the "tethering" feature of the Verizon Treo 700. That dude gets a big wet kiss from me. I called Versizon and had the feature added (I took it off when I got the phone to save money) - there IS an additional monthly cost. Tethering enables the Treo 700 to be used as an external internet access modem to your laptop most typically, but to any device that can access it using a USB cable or, in the case of the Tomtom One XLS, Bluetooth.

I also had to upgrade the firmware on my Treo 700 to version 1.22. The firmware idea I got purely by accident. My boss had to upgrade the firmware on his Treo 700 for other reasons. I went to the Palm website and looked up the firmware changes and found Bluetooth/modem updates.

Everything works fine now, although I often have to try to connect more than once. I don't know why this info isn't on the Tomtom website or SOMEWHERE! Even in these forums I only got bits and pieces of info - often incomplete.

Now only if Tomtom had traffic service for the US!!

Your first problem: You have Verizon.

Go buy a Garmin then, they're for people who don't care about modding and customizing. Just like Verizon users (since you can't do anything to your phone anyway).

Your first problem: You have Verizon.

Go buy a Garmin then, they're for people who don't care about modding and customizing. Just like Verizon users (since you can't do anything to your phone anyway).

Unfortunately, Verizon has the best cellular coverage around. Now, since you are worried about traffic, you may be in a major metro area, and [insert-low-cost-cellular-carrier-here] MAY get reception. In many parts of the country, it's Verizon or nothing.

I know when I go back home (to a relatively populated portion of VT) I get no service with AT&T or Sprint, and only a bar or two with Verizon. Believe me, if I could get by with a cheap plan from T-Mobile, I would, but they just don't have the coverage area.

Long story short, don't make sweeping comments like that before considering that not everyone's circumstances are the same as yours.

What amazes me is the lack of custoer support from TomTom. When my kid wanted to use his Nintendo wirelessly, I went to the Nintendo website and found the proper configuration FOR EVERY ROUTER KNOWN TO MAN. I clicked on my model, which was a pretty low cost, unknown brand, and got the exact instructions to make it work. Why doesn't TomTom have a web page with all the available bluetooth phones and their configuration? I find it amazing the way you're on you're own with a Tom Tom. I guess I'll sign up for the European Traffic to get US Traffic! My God!

Ask a Question