Don't Buy A Tomtom!!!

I am taking my TomTom back and exchanging it for a different brand because TomTom's do not work with one of the most popular phones and phone services: the Treo 700 series phones from Verizon. If I had known this before buying the TomTom, I would not have bought it and saved myself alot of time and trouble. Save yourself LOTS of aggravation and take the unit back if you want traffic and weather features on the TomTom. Thanks!!

Did you called tech support about it? If it is a new phone probably they will release a update soon who know?
Maby this can help http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/treo-and-mac-os-x/tomtom-install-6676.html

By the way did you know TomTom have car navigation for Palm?
http://www.tomtom.com/products/cate...:00000000:00000000:s89ikquegve33asmcns7lp1d43

And here it say it work with palm Treo 700
Palm
Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700P, Treo 700W, Treo 750V
http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=282&Category=2&Lid=4

Last edited:
I am taking my TomTom back and exchanging it for a different brand because TomTom's do not work with one of the most popular phones and phone services: the Treo 700 series phones from Verizon. If I had known this before buying the TomTom, I would not have bought it and saved myself alot of time and trouble. Save yourself LOTS of aggravation and take the unit back if you want traffic and weather features on the TomTom. Thanks!!

Research before you buy, not after. It states on the box that you need to check TT web site for phone compatibility. Don't knock a product that you know nothing about.

Its not like there are several posts regarding TomTom and Verizon having compatibility issues and requiring a hack. Oh wait, there ARE several posts about that EXACT topic. But its not like he is coming to a forum for TomTom fans, and blatantly bad mouthing the product. Oh wait, that is PRECISELY what he's doing. But at least he did research before he bought it..... oh wait, sill me, Im wrong again! Apparently research wasn't required!

Sorry dude, I can't come up with any sympathy, no matter how hard I try.

LOL. If you bothered to research and check the websites of compatible phones, maybe you should've known. I don't see what the problem is.

Just because Tom Tom does not work with your phone (it never said it did) does not make it a bad product, Audi does not work with verizon either but its a great car.:rolleyes:

Let me see! I had a Samsung A707, I come to find out that the phone is not compatible with any GPS. So I bought the TT720 for it's features and then I bought a new phone for it.

Do I feel sorry for you? NO

Last edited:
Got The Bugger Working!

I'm not sure how I got this cross-thread going. Anyway, I thought I'd post my latest on here to clear things up.

Someone on this thread mentioned activating the "tethering" feature of the Verizon Treo 700. That dude gets a big wet kiss from me. I called Verizon and had the feature added (I took it off when I got the phone to save money) - there IS an additional monthly cost. Tethering enables the Treo 700 to be used as an external internet access modem to your laptop most typically, but to any device that can access it using a USB cable or, in the case of the Tomtom One XLS, Bluetooth.

I also had to upgrade the firmware on my Treo 700 to version 1.22. The firmware idea I got purely by accident. My boss had to upgrade the firmware on his Treo 700 for other reasons. I went to the Palm website and looked up the firmware changes and found Bluetooth/modem updates.

Everything works fine now, although I often have to try to connect more than once. I don't know why this info isn't on the Tomtom website or SOMEWHERE! Even in these forums I only got bits and pieces of info - often incomplete.

Now only if Tomtom had traffic service for the US!!

TomTom Does have US Traffic service available. The only option to purchase Traffic at the current time is to purchase the European subscription, but rest assured you WILL get the US Traffic information. The coverage area is located here:

http://www.tomtom.com/7583

Your welcome!

Now only if Tomtom had traffic service for the US!!

Huh? Of COURSE there is USA traffic service via TT Plus service.

I very definitely receive traffic information via my cheapie little TomTom One and my Windows Mobile 6 Blackberry compatible Tilt phone (rebadged HTC Kaiser phone) from AT&T.

Actually, works like a charm. This is the 3rd BT phone that I've tried and all work perfectly fine with my TT.

Actually this is NOT a TomTom problem. I looked into this for the Plus features after buying my One. The problem is Verizon. They do not allow third party operators on their network. They want you to use their Navigator program on their phones. I personally didn't have a problem with this as I really don't see a need for the Plus features, the more that I thought about it. I know this isn't the answer to your problem, but it is the official one.

How'd I get negative feedback for posting the correct way to purchase traffic in a thread where some one doesn;t know how to purchase it? You all are a strange bunch!!! lol

I wanted reliable traffic on my TomTom, so I purchased the expensive FM receiver (about $120). It works off digital radio feeds. It works great in the Des Moines area. Traffic is updated promptly and accurately. Even though it is pricey, I think it brings value to the TT in my morning commute.

I called TT service and found out that although the service is called Traffic Europe, it is, in fact, the traffic service for the USA. Go figure. I purchased it and it does work for my area in Ohio. All is well for now!

As of now I actually like my TT. So I guess I will retract my "Don't Buy a Tomtom" statement. But my advice is: if you buy a TT you better be ready to WORK FOR IT!

I have also forgiven all the idiots who called me a retard and took points away. I figured it out without their help. Not that they could have possibly helped anyway.

I couldn't care less one way or the other, as I haven't seen any sign of others being idiots here, but I am kinda curious......what did you "figure out" by yourself?

Ask a Question