Don?t buy Tom Tom one. It doesn?t work

TomTom Model(s)
one 130
I already send a message to this forum some weeks ago. I am a person who travels a lot, as I don?t have much time to visit the cities where I travel I bought a Tom Tom 130. Nevertheless I was surprised because the first time I turned it on it didn?t work, as I work in a cruise ship I believed that it was because of the ship that the GPS had problems to get the signal, then I sent a message to the forum looking for help, I received a lot of suggestions but I was very very surprised when I found out that I should connect the device to a computer in order to download files otherwise the GPS wouldn?t find the satellites.

First I bought it because I wanted independence, but now I should connect it to a computer and download heavy files? I have my personal computer at home, I don?t have any laptop. But what about if I needed urgently and I don?t have any computer? So the dream of independence was death because these devices can not work alone.

Following the advices I got in this forum I went to Cocoa Beach and tried it but the GPS showed a Bad reception, it said in the screen that I was inside a building!. I let the GPS on for at least 1 hour several times but nothing happened.

Back in my home I downloaded the files from the internet specially QuickGPSfix, I made the updates trough TOM TOM HOME but it was the same. The GPS doesn?t work because it can not find any satellite. I have to add that when I connect it to the computer it seems to ?recognize some satellites?, and I say it seems because I live in Peru (I know there are no maps for Peru), the device has a USA-Canada map pre-installed, when I put my address home of Quebec to test it, and I tried to see in the device my actual position the device show me in Quebec and of course it only ?works? when it is connected to the computer. I believed this device should show me my real position and not a position I entered it, otherwise I better use Google Maps or Google Planet.

So it is obviously that the GPS doesn?t work. The worse is that as I work in a cruise ship I had to by it through a friend with a credit card in the USA so I can not have any reimbursement. I will travel to Europe in some months, I have to buy a map for the GPS but I don?t have any guarantee this device will work in the future. I feel I threw away my money.

I wanted a solution but I bought a problem. So don?t buy any TOM TOM it doesn?t work and of course it doesn?t worth the price you?ll need to buy a laptop in order to have it ?work?.:mad:

Sorry to hear about your problems. Best you try to get hold of support somehow and try to return it during the warranty period.

BUT.....

To say not to buy a TomTom because it won't work is a silly comment. Yours won't work, apparently, but for tens of thousands, maybe more, around the world, it works just fine.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Best you try to get hold of support somehow and try to return it during the warranty period.

BUT.....

To say not to buy a TomTom because it won't work is a silly comment. Yours won't work, apparently, but for tens of thousands, maybe more, around the world, it works just fine.

I am already in Peru, it will be very expensive to send it back to the US. Besides I bought it through a friend, even when I received all new and packed I already destroyed the package because I couldn't bring it with me to the airplaine.

As I told you I wanted a solution and I bought a problem. hwne I got it I didn?t knwo I needed a computer to update it always... That is the reason because I say that nobody should buy it. It is clear that you didn?t put in my shoes, it is me who spent the money, it is me the one who has the problem and nobody can help me.

You lost a client.

I didn't lose anything. I don't work for TomTom. I don't get paid by TomTom or anybody to be here.

Good luck with any purchase you make of another brand of gps. I might suggest you don't throw out any packaging until you understand how to operate the device, though.

I didn't lose anything. I don't work for TomTom. I don't get paid by TomTom or anybody to be here.

Good luck with any purchase you make of another brand of gps. I might suggest you don't throw out any packaging until you understand how to operate the device, though.

That is the reason because you don?t seem to care about it. I had to throw it away as I travel for work not for pleasure and I can not carry everything with me. Of course I will buy other GPS that works, but this time in Europe.As for TOM TOM I suggest to everybody to forget it, it is not worth my friend.

What all have you tried to fix it? Reseting, clear flash, etc?

I've traveled with mine and it takes a VERY long time to locate satellites if I turn it off in one area and power it back on 100+ miles away. I'm assuming its looking for the satellites that it was connected too. So if you are traveling even further it may take even longer.

You dont NEED a computer. You will if you want to update the maps but its not required for proper operation I dont know who told you that. The BENEFIT of having a computer is you can download quickGPSfix. It tells the device where the satellites are for a certain amount of time. This is an inherent problem with ALL gps's the planet and satellites move so time is required to locate them. With quickGPSfix it practically remove the lag waiting to acquire satellite reception...

I'm not exactly sure HOW this works though. Because if the GPS doesnt know where it is how would it know where to look? So the computers location may have something to do with it too. So you are downloading GPSfix from Peru (where there are no maps) with an account setup for? Peru? Quebec?

I did have something similar happen to me once. And I had to reset the unit, once reset it took 5 minutes but I got full strength signal again, prior I had it in my vehicles window for 4+ hours. It was just "locked up" like that, searching for a signal asking if I was in a building....

Anyway, relax some. Its just a gadget dont let it get the best of you, and trust me I know how frustrating it can be I've had problems of my own with a Tomtom and other GPS devices that make me want to just throw them out the window @ 90 mph. I would wait until next time you are in the states/canada and give Tomtom tech support a call, let them know your problem. They should be able to help you out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your unit does not function. This is forum does not represent TT the company but TT users who work together to help each other. TT the company has never given me anything. That being said connecting your unit to the computer allows you to download a small file that helps the unit find the satellites. We talk about stabilized orbits but the satellites do drift in relation to the surface of the earth so hence the "position fix" that can be downloaded. I do not bother unless I want to upgrade something. The unit will find the satellites without the file but it might take a moment. When the unit has been turned off and moved quite a distance the unit often does take a considerable amount of time to reorient itself.
Could you possible have a defective unit? Of course but that can happen with any device. If you chose, tell us what you have done to the unit to try to solve the problem as there are people here who will politely offer you their expertise. You might just find the solution an easy one to apply.
Regarding its use on a cruise ship I do not think the unit would offer much information. I am a pilot and when flying TT is confused because it was designed to navigate highways not airways nor I imagine shipping lanes. If you are outside the designated map areas you are not going to have much success with any unit as they will not be able to show their location anyway.
Whatever unit you purchase find a users support forum like this one and though they are there to help they too do not work for the company that produced the unit as a rule.

Last edited:
This could simply be down to poor qGPS data or more likely the fact the device has moved a considerable distance since it was last switched on, if you have the device swich it on and tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner), is there any activity on the bar graphs either grey or possibly Blue after some time? also check the time on the same page (top right) is that showing anything like the correct time?

For whats its worth I stopped using the qGPS updates some considerable time ago as they are simply not required if you use the device on a regular basis, the device can grab the Almanac and Emphemeris data from the sat signals negating the use of the PC for downloads - Mike

I'll make a short version and long version of replies.
1. Short version.
If you do not like your purchase, then either returning it, trashing it, smashing it, hammering it, ...etc. Bascially, do whatever you capable of to get rid of it and save your itchy and headache. Not worth at all.
KEY NOTE: you must realize that this particular site or any other Tomtom related sites are the place to discuss, to get help, to get problem solved, NOT the place to blame, not the place to pour your frustrateness.

2. Long version.
I had to by it through a friend with a credit card in the USA
Next time, be a little smart NOT to buy GPS from your friend. If I was you, I call that FRIEND and bash him, not going up here and complain about your Tomtom unit. Before you buy something NOT from authorized dealer, do some research, making sure that seller, in this case your friend, does have GOOD unit or not, and do OFFER warranty or not. What if he sold a known bad unit to you and guide you to be here, bashing how bad your uinit is?
First I bought it because I wanted independence, but now I should connect it to a computer and download heavy files… I have my personal computer at home, I don?t have any laptop. But what about if I needed urgently and I don?t have any computer? So the dream of independence was death because these devices can not work alone.
What do you want to do with your GPS???
Downloading heavy files??? What files?
I hope you understand that the 130 is just purely for navigation and not a little mini computer that you can surf web, play games online, or so.

You probably bought this through your friend in the USA because the prices on electronic items are much cheaper here than in South America (sometimes by half).

In the future, when buying something that you will use outside the USA, ask your friend to buy the item and use it for a while before he gives it to you. That way, if it isn't working properly, the American friend can take it back and get another one. One of my friends in Peru wants me to bring a laptop to him, and I'm going to thoroughly test it before leaving the USA. Even if the laptop has an international warranty, it's not always easy to get service, and you cannot exchange it.

I wish you better luck with your next GPS. My TomTom is 6 months old and works OK, but sometimes electronic items have problems. If they work OK for the first few weeks, many times they give you great service for many years.

As there is no map for Peru, I can't possibly think of a use for this fellow's TomTom when he is outside of the area of the USA-Canada map. Even if he does get a satelite link, he will only get a blank screen because he is 'off the map'.

I am in Australia with a XL and the satelites are over us too. Yes a computer is needed both to download and charge if you are not using the car charger. Even the mighty MP3 players cameras and phones need a computer interface. Is Peru that backward that computers have not found their way there yet?. If you pay the freight I can send one I am no longer using. A P1 pentium just up for the task. You will need a internet connection however.

We have Aboriginees that have broadband in their huts and it is a sight to see them walking around with a phone stuck in their ear.

I have only had mine a few months and it is better than sliced bread. I have run out of places locally to go to try it. It hits the nail on the head each time

Ask a Question