Does anyone find Itineraries Useful?

I've tried to use my 720's Itinerary feature to customize a route from my home in Connecticut to my daughter's school near Washington, DC. I have created routes with multiple waypoints so I can avoid the George Washington Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway a good bit of the way to avoid the worst of the NJ Turnpike. I've used both the normal method of creating itineraries on my 720 (using TomTom Home to control my 720) and Tyre. I've been very careful to place my waypoints smack in the middle of the highways, not trying to pick landmarks close to the highway. The problem is, if I want to follow my itinerary and start one or two waypoints into it (let's say I've stopped for lunch), even if I indicate I've visited the previous waypoint, my (in progress) itinerary seems to tack on 50-100 miles onto the remaining route. No matter how hard I try, I can't make this feature useful. Does anyone have a foolproof method to make this work constructively?

Jack Weintraub

Jack,

You have the option to set previous waypoints as already visited. Go to the Itinerary screen so you can view the waypoints. Select the waypoints that you have already passed or won't pass during the trip, individually. When the screen comes up you can select "mark visited". For waypoints that have been already marked as visited can be be selected "mark to visit". This should allow the unit to recalculate based on your current position to the fist waypoint leaving out the ones that you have indicated you won't or already have visited.

I hope this helps.

J

Are you clearing the route when you stop for lunch?

I use itinerarys often. I also use TYRE to create or edit itineraries made with Google maps and Houghi.org. When I stop along the way - say for lunch or dinner, I don't clear the route - I just turn off the GPS while in the restaurant. When I come back out I turn on my TT and continue on the designated itinerary without having to go back to any waypoint. The ETA is automatically adjusted for the lunch stop.

Also, I've found that any waypoints I add need to be on the right side of the street. For instance, when I generated reverse route by clicking 'Turn' on TYRE, the return trip tried to get me to make an extra turn. Since I was enroute, I just clicked that waypoint and marked it 'already visited' to get the TT on track again. When I looked closely at the waypoint when I was home, I noticed it was on the wrong side of the street. I just moved it over and resaved it.

Hope this helps.

As others have noted, it's useful to mark a point as already visited, or for an itinerary you only want to execute once, you can delete a visited point or points.

I use the heck out of itineraries for geocaching. Rather than just using the GC waypoints known in my 720 from my custom OV2 files from GSAK, I use specific map locations. My 720 doesn't know that it's a bad idea to stop on an urban interstate, and that the cache is actually closer to an adjacent parking lot of which it is completely unaware!

The *.ITN file format is pretty straightforward, although it will do some peculiar things based upon the characters used in this "human readable" file. It's not difficult to create *.ITN files from external sources so long as they've got decent latitude/longitude data.

Ask a Question