Does Amercia know where Western Europe is?

WITH THANKS TO dhn, canderson, mikealder and other helpers on my other threads.

Finally, I now have on my TomTom GO720 a full Western Europe map downloaded, installed and running, together with cameras, traffic and the voice of dear Kate!!

Components of success:
1. a fast sdHC card (ensure the HC bit) min 4GB. I installed an 8GB sdHC Class 6 card (low cost on eBay)..

2. ensure card is formatted Fat32 not NTFS. new sdHC cards are Fat32 so do not reformat on your PC as NTFS.

?. disable Windows Firewall (and any other) maybe this was causing the constant timeout while attempting to download. BE SURE TO TURN ON FIREWALL when finished.

Components of the earlier problems:
1. Internal memory only 2GB so could not take new larger map.
2. Use of sd card rather than sdHC (beware to double check your card or what you are buying). PC formatted NTFS not Fat32.
3. although I was able to install files onto an sd card this was not properly recognised by my Go 720. Format problem.

Amazing isn't it.. that after so much hassle and shouting by me the components of success are as simple as the components of the problem.

It's clear that not all TomTom tech info is fully up to date with type and size of memory cards. Nevertheless, TomTom support techies were always ready to try to help and these Forums provided the practical experience of owners/users who, when it comes to problem solving, have personally 'been there and done it?.

My thanks to all.

It's nice to see a resolution like this, no matter how hard fought. If we didn't get a win now and then, I think we'd throw in the towel!

Agreed - brilliant result!

So what do you know about Windows 7, 64 bit ??

Maybe we can make another triumph.

Agreed - brilliant result!

So what do you know about Windows 7, 64 bit ??

Maybe we can make another triumph.
If all else fails, XP compatibility mode seems to resolve the problem for some of the other folks who can't otherwise get Home to cooperate. Are you already participating in another thread on that particular topic? It's certainly been discussed here in a couple.

Not on another thread.. and it's not TT related but still an issue with me and my new PC setup. I must take a look at how to run Win 7 64 bit in compatibility mode. Thanks.

It's not W7 that would be in XP mode, it's the specific application.

If you have a desktop icon for the application, then right click, properties, compatibility mode and select XP, SP3.

Thanks dhn - isn't life easy when you know which buttons to press !

Are you on a Win 7 forum anywhere? I feel I should not clog this TT forum with Win 7 stuff.

Thanks dhn - isn't life easy when you know which buttons to press !

Are you on a Win 7 forum anywhere? I feel I should not clog this TT forum with Win 7 stuff.
Clog away. We've had the same Home issue raised any number of times, so it's valuable information to keep repeating here.

I (at the moment) have no further problems with TomTom/home.

My Win7 issues are not TomTom/Home related - I thought I might have struck lucky and found the Win7 64 bit Timelords ...

Ask a Question