Does Amercia know where Western Europe is?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
OK, yes I agree, it's a rather 'thought provoking' Title..

(and yes, I spelt America incorrectly)...

.... but I was in Sanaa in Yemen in 1996 and met a US military medic visiting from Kuwait.

When I said I was visiting from my office based in Dubai the US military medic responded "Oh, where is Dubai?" ......

........ just a short missiule strike from Iran, as was Kuwait and Iraq...

So, what has this got to do with Tom Tom maps?

That is revealed under my New Thread ................
Help! where is Western Europe?

Last edited:
Guess I missed the reference in your other thread, assuming I'm reading the right one.

You do know that TomTom is based in Amsterdam (the Netherlands, not New York), right?

You are of course correct.................... but I bet it was US logic that decided in the country split for the Zones..........

totally crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the map updates are still a pain..................

You are of course correct.................... but I bet it was US logic that decided in the country split for the Zones..........
.. and I'll bet you lunch at L'Atelier De Jo?l Robuchon (that's in WC2) that the folks in Boston had not one thing to do with it. All of the marketing and development wonks are on your side of the Atlantic, and don't much care what we think. Neither do I believe Boston cares one way or another, since it's not a problem for U.S. maps. Perhaps you're confusing them with Garmin?

.............well, then I must, maybe, just a little, and not too much, offer a ,sort-of, rather small, and half-hearted. apology to any US person who feels sleighted by my post...

Often, for some in the US the world ends at the east Coast....... as it did for that medic in Yemen...

Ok, I agree.. that's improper...

.........so is it fact that a bunch of 'international' technocrats, employed by TT in Nederlands.. have managed to stuff up the Euriope maps unaided?

I do like the TomTom satnav system, when it's working............

. BUT this increased map size and Zones has really stuffed my Go 720......... I have spent over 20 hrs in the pastw eek trying to get this sorted.

Not a happy labrador..............

.........so is it fact that a bunch of 'international' technocrats, employed by TT in Nederlands.. have managed to stuff up the Euriope maps unaided?
Indeed. There's no development team on U.S. soil. Wish there were - we might get more input into things. As you can imagine, our situation here is somewhat different than yours. Ditto for product management. They won't even sell us a 940 here, much less a 950, and they don't support the 740 with the accessories needed to derive all of its benefits.

BUT this increased map size and Zones has really stuffed my Go 720......... I have spent over 20 hrs in the pastw eek trying to get this sorted.

Not a happy labrador..............
Certainly understood. The whole regionalization/zoning of the full European map came as a big surprise to a lot of owners of TT units who had come to think of the map as a single entity, and TT managed the announcement (lack) very poorly, springing things on their European users via Home during the 850 update. Owners there who had come to expect to take their TomTom's sans computer when they traveled certainly got the rude surprise. No question the whole thing was pretty shabby.

Then again, TomTom has been making a dog's breakfast of informing their customers about changes to existing product features for some time now. I know the surprise pulling of the FM modulator nav feature with no warning -- just "happened" with a recommended firmware update per Home -- certainly jacked some peoples' jaws. Given my vehicle configuration, that never bothered me since I had to come up with an alternative to their modulator anyway, but for those for whom it was working nicely ... ouch.

I appreciate it when a company comes out with release notes for their updates. I appreciate it far more when those notes are thorough. The more detail there is, the better prepared I am to make a decision as to whether my use model is positively or negatively impacted by the expected result.

With TomTom Home, it's not even skimpy release notes - it's usually none - just "Here, do this because it's good for you (and see what happens)". Yeah - pull my finger. Sadly, TomTom's lack of communication to their customers is one of the things that makes this forum as valuable as it is. Heck of a deal, eh?

Last edited:
Well, I think I ought to draw this bad-mouthing post to a conclusion. I don't really want to upset our friends across the water, I just wanted to raise some interest in my other post regarding problems with TomTom Europe Zone maps.

I now know the following..........

My GO 720 (and many other TomToms) is not really able to read a 4GB card, only a 2GB card, like it's internal memory size.

So, there is now way that a Full Western Europe Map (2+GB)
will be read on a 4GB sd card.

I have now to get a 2GB card, load a Zone onto Internal, then copy it to sd card and download a second Zone onto Interenal Memory.

ONLY by having 2 Zone maps can I have UK/Germany/Italy and the rest of the original EU on my TomTom.

I understand that Garmin have also maxed out on maps that are too big for their 'devices'.

WHAT A PAIN!!! and it has taken almost 2 weeks of day after day calls to TomTom. Today one nice chap says 'ah... 4GB?.. they can only read 2GB cards 100%' .. and that agrees with my experience because despite putting the old West Europe map on the 4GB sd card the TomTom could not read it .. it saw 1.7GB free space but could not read the map...

Bummer what?

Listen..........

720's with app 8.351 can read/write successfully to (up to) 32 gig sdhc cards! It's a fact. The faster the sdhc card (class 6+) the better.

Your 720 is capable of using anything up to and including 32GB in capacity, if TT CS have told you different to this then they are wrong and require re-training.

As for the card not being seen correctly this is down to the useless Home software which often gets confused between the device and the memory card fitted in it. This why with a 4GB (or larger) card we recommend you transfer everything to the card from the device, put the card in to an SDHC card reader, delete the map folder then let Home see the card with no TomTom device plugged in to the computer. Home should no offer the zonned maps as well as the comprehensive map for download, you might have to expand some of the download options though to see all the map options - Mike

Oh my goodness... I do accept that I can be right and you both be wrong. bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so a 2GB card may just get around the issue .. I will go that path as posted on my other thread.

Howeverf.. i will then go on with an 8GB card and try putting everything on that..........

For sure TomTom Home does get confused.

as I also do :-(

Think about it though, the latest full coverage Western_Europe map is well over 2GB in size so messing around with a storage card of only 2GB capacity will either lead to frustration or simply waste more of your time it won't work!
Go for a decent size 4GB (or larger) high speed (class 6 or better) SDHC and put the map on that - Mike

ERROR - Correction>>>> sorry guys..
Oh my goodness... I do accept that I can <<<NOT>>> be right and you both be wrong. bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
........................................................................................

Clearly I give way to your greater knowledge with this b problem.... it just seemed to fit that my temperamental G0 720 doesn't like my new 4GB card.

Anyway - I'll persevere, take all your advice on board and report back next week on developments.

p.s. It seems that you are sure, but why are you SO VERY sure that a 3 years old GO 720 can handle all the new crap that TomTom is throwing at it? what is so 'special' about the processor in the GO 720 that means it can live for ever?

Best regards.

Notice my sig line and what unit I have? Well, it's a 3+ year old 720. I know what I'm talking about..............

OK, thanks - I believe you both and will take this further with a larger sd card next week.

and thanks for your time.

Best regards.

In this instance its not just size that matters, the speed of the card has a major influence on performance. Get a slow speed card and the device will reject it refusing to use it, no error messages etc it will simply ignore it and revert back to using the internal Flash memory.

Get a Class 6 or better (the higher the number the faster the card), these cards do cost slightly more but will save you loads of time trying to work out whats wrong - Mike

Today one nice chap says 'ah... 4GB?.. they can only read 2GB cards 100%' ..
Just in case you don't believe the previous two -- my 720 has had a 4GB SDHC card in it ever since the firmware allowed it.

ALL 8.3XX versions of firmware support SDHC cards on your unit.

Shame on your local tech support reps if they didn't know that. The rep was either very badly informed by his "cheat sheet", or was ignoring it and working from old memories.

Still waiting for the 8GB sdHC Class 6 card to arriv e........ in the meantime an update on ifo provided by TomTom.

It seems the rep I last spoke with was giving me exactly the TomTom line (maybe after this exercise is completed we will ask them to update their info)...........

TomTom info:
Supported memory card sizes
The following maximum sizes for memory cards are supported:

* SD cards up to 2GB
* SDHC cards up to 4GB
* Micro SD cards up to 4GB

This link shows what TomTom say about all models and cards..........

Which memory card for additional maps

Oh -- and this....

Formatting
When you buy a new memory card you don't need to format the card before installing your maps. New memory cards are formatted to FAT 32, which is the correct format for use with navigation devices.

(is it possible that when I formatted the 'failing' sd card it was NTFS??.)

Last edited:
It seems the rep I last spoke with was giving me exactly the TomTom line (maybe after this exercise is completed we will ask them to update their info)...........
Good luck with that. The web information is far out of date. Has not been true since they released firmware 8.300 long ago. The tech support folks have been advised of this as some of them are fully aware of the capabilities of these units to manage SDHC provided the firmware is upgraded. And to the issue of 4MB SDHC -- without the requisite firmware, they'll read one, but can't write one.

Formatting
When you buy a new memory card you don't need to format the card before installing your maps. New memory cards are formatted to FAT 32, which is the correct format for use with navigation devices.

(is it possible that when I formatted the 'failing' sd card it was NTFS??.)
If you did accidentally format as NTFS, your TomTom wouldn't have the first clue as how to read it and would "reject" it.

Ask a Question