Do you use coordinates for "Navigating to"?

You use lat. and long. instead of a traditional address?

• Never

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Frequently

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I see one has the option of navigating to a destination by entering the latitude and longitude of the destination. In fact I am now see more and more addresses shown on line including this information. I have never done this.

I imagine depending on the number of decimal places it could be more accurate than a traditonal street and # address?

For example given GPS coordinates to the nearest hundredth would be (very) good enough?

Under what circumstances is it worth using on a TT?

(How easy is it to get GPS coordinates from Google Maps? If so how?)

Last edited:
Is it simple and quick enough to obtain GPS coordinates from Google Maps? If so how?

Use Google Earth instead. It displays the coordinates of the cursor's position.

Using coordinates is the best, if not the only way of giving a location that doesn't have an address - a cottage or farm, for example.

I've tried coordinates, but unless those coordionates are on a road that TomTom recognizes and can translate to an address, you'll have a hard time getting there. (I usually get a "no route to specified..." Message)

I've tried coordinates, but unless those coordionates are on a road that TomTom recognizes and can translate to an address, you'll have a hard time getting there. (I usually get a "no route to specified..." Message)

Or might it direct you to the nearest address?

I don't believe there has to be an actual address in the database for this to work. But you're right in that the point must be on a road that is on the TT map. Off road won't work.

I've used the coordinates in the following way: I've been to a cottage in the bush. Using 'Browse map', I note the coordinates of the point where the cursor is. (You have to check a box somewhere to display the coordinates.) I copy the coordinates, email them to a friend. He punches them into his TomTom and he can navigate to that spot.

I used it just a week ago, to navigate to a house that had a "bad" street address. The owner said even the Post Office thinks their address is wrong, but it's what they hvae. But he had GPS coordinates, and I used those. Probably wont use all that often.

Rick

I needed to travel to a soccer field on Sunday. More often than not there is no address associated with suh sports fields. Of course I could have entered the two closest cross streets but using Google Earth I was able to determine the entrance to the park and the connecting parking lot. I entered the lat. and long. coordinates into the TT and it worked perfectly.

I needed to travel to a soccer field on Sunday. More often than not there is no address associated with suh sports fields. Of course I could have entered the two closest cross streets but using Google Earth I was able to determine the entrance to the park and the connecting parking lot. I entered the lat. and long. coordinates into the TT and it worked perfectly.
As mentioned before elsewhere TT will guide you to the spot you select off the roads.
The easiest way is to make it a new POI and pick a near intersection. Then open Tyre > Edit > Display in Google maps. Click on [ Satellite ] and drag the POI to the exact spot you want it to be. Save POI. Copy to TomTom.

As far as I am aware TomTom 'snaps' to the nearest road so whilst it will show a destination / POI off the road it will only navigate to the nearest point on a road. (Strange thing is that one of the official POIs you get is 'Mountain Peaks'). So please don't try and use your TomTom unit on your next walk in the hills.
Long / Lat is a very accurate way of determining a point when no other means of transferring data between map sources is available. (Just dont get East and West mixed up! - Not too bad here in England as we have the Prime Meridian but could cause problems over in America where the W90? longitude line is situated, you could end up in China!:D

Cheers,

I recently went on a trip to Puerto Rico and most people don't have physical addresses. I had to save my Grandmothers house as a POI using the coordinates.

As far as I am aware TomTom 'snaps' to the nearest road so whilst it will show a destination / POI off the road it will only navigate to the nearest point on a road.
As I said above, that is not so. See the spot I in the parking lot I have selected through Tyre.
View attachment 2130
Long / Lat is a very accurate way of determining a point when no other means of transferring data between map sources is available. (Just dont get East and West mixed up!
That's the nice bit about Tyre. In Edit > Use Google maps the exact location can be dragged anywhere and Tyre will do the coordinates automatically.

Before I learned about Tyre and making a POI for the Warrington & District SME track I typed in the coordinates and promptly ended up just off the coast of Holland.
Cheers,

Last edited:
As far as I am aware TomTom 'snaps' to the nearest road so whilst it will show a destination / POI off the road it will only navigate to the nearest point on a road. (Strange thing is that one of the official POIs you get is 'Mountain Peaks'). So please don't try and use your TomTom unit on your next walk in the hills.
Long / Lat is a very accurate way of determining a point when no other means of transferring data between map sources is available. (Just dont get East and West mixed up! - Not too bad here in England as we have the Prime Meridian but could cause problems over in America where the W90? longitude line is situated, you could end up in China!:D

Cheers,

May be its too bad in England since it won't be way off from you location if you mix E and W in coordinates rather than somebody in America since he will know for sure if he made this error.

Ask a Question