do I need to keep map files in the TT folder on my PC

Can I safely delete these from my PC, since I have copies on DVD?

I noticed when I went to defrag my HD that the files with paths like \TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\North_America\North_America_2GB.zip were showing up as fragmented but the defrag could not fix them, prob since they were so big. Do I need to keep them on my HD?

Since there are now 4 different versions sitting there, due to map updates, I could use the extra several Gigs of space for something else.

Can I safely delete these from my PC, since I have copies on DVD?

I noticed when I went to defrag my HD that the files with paths like \TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\North_America\North_America_2GB.zip were showing up as fragmented but the defrag could not fix them, prob since they were so big. Do I need to keep them on my HD?

Since there are now 4 different versions sitting there, due to map updates, I could use the extra several Gigs of space for something else.
I'm not entirely clear about how you accomplished your backup, so I'll have to qualify the answer. If you backed up the entirety of the TomTom backup directories, hidden files and all, to your DVD, you've done yourself a good deed. If you first backed up everything to a spot on your hard drive using Windows with hidden/system showing, you did even better. If you didn't make hidden files visible, certain items will not have copied using Explorer, and some of us have found that not everything gets copied over using TomTom Home.

Anyway, if you've done the FULL copy to your hard drive and then to DVD (hidden files and all), there's no real need to have the duplicates on your PC if they are eating up space you otherwise need.

I keep hidden files visible on all my machines, so I can't recall off hand if the critical key files, etc., that are associated with the actual map files are visible during simple copy functions.

Thanks! Since I keep all machines that I administer set to show all files including hidden, and since this is my own laptop, I am pretty sure everything is there. But I will be checking the folders on the HD and the DVD to make sure, before going any further.

But I will be checking the folders on the HD and the DVD to make sure, before going any further.
Good idea. As noted before, TomTom Home has been known to miss a few things during its backups, and it overwrites each backup with the new one unless you first rename the Backup01 directory where it's putting them. Most of us have adjusted to just using Windows to copy the whole mess over into backup folders just to be safe.

Ask a Question