Display To show house numbers

I am thinking of purchasing a TomTom 720.

I have recently borrowed a Navman and the Navman shows the street I am currently travelling on at the bottom of the screen ( including House numbers which change as you drive by)

and shows the street you have to turn into at the top of the screen.

I found this very useful if i didn't want to study the map as I am driving. This is very useful at a glance

I also found the numbers very useful if searching for an address at night.

Can the TomTom Display be configured to do this?

See Image of what I mean re Navman on below site

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/navman-s90-s90i/11130/

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

I am thinking of purchasing a TomTom 720.

I have recently borrowed a Navman and the Navman shows the street I am currently travelling on at the bottom of the screen ( including House numbers which change as you drive by)

and shows the street you have to turn into at the top of the screen.
The 720's screen can be set to show the street you are currently on and, as well, the street name that reflects your next turn.

It will not show the street numbers of the street you are on as you are moving along it.

Me too I wish it show house number. Also when I tell to go at a specific address I wish it show that adress, so I will not have to check my package all the time when he said "you have arrived":mad:

Me too I wish it show house number. Also when I tell to go at a specific address I wish it show that adress, so I will not have to check my package all the time when he said "you have arrived":mad:

Once you've arrived, press on the status bar where the times are shown, to display the route summary screen. At the top of the screen will be the destination address.

House numbers are just a guess...

I don't think any consumer PND will accurately show the location of individual addresses. The location of individual addresses on the street will be extrapolated (e.g. if the block range is 2000 to 2099, the address 2050 will be calculated to be in the middle of the block). I would be very surprised if our GPS maps even contain the correct ranges for individual blocks.

Also, if local addressing authorities have followed the so-called Philadelphia Numbering Plan(?), even numbers will be on the right and odd on the left as your drive away from the center of town.

My day-job involves mapping and addressing for emergency services. These things drive us nuts every day. :confused:

Les

I don't think any consumer PND will accurately show the location of individual addresses. The location of individual addresses on the street will be extrapolated (e.g. if the block range is 2000 to 2099, the address 2050 will be calculated to be in the middle of the block). I would be very surprised if our GPS maps even contain the correct ranges for individual blocks.

Also, if local addressing authorities have followed the so-called Philadelphia Numbering Plan(?), even numbers will be on the right and odd on the left as your drive away from the center of town.

My day-job involves mapping and addressing for emergency services. These things drive us nuts every day. :confused:

Les
Yeah, and I think that your GPS will verify an address if you have the hundred block correct. I put in an address one time that was like...12351, and even though that address didn't exist, Tom Tom directed me to the street as if it did, because there was a 12300 block on that street. I figured out that the actual address I need to go to was 12315, not 51. I dunno how that other unit did that, but it seems like that would be an enormous amount of data that would be extremely difficult if not impossible to verify, then input. You're talking about locating the GPS coordinates of every single street address in North America :eek: :eek: :eek:

I see house numbers as I click along a street when browsing a map, but these do seem to be an extrapolation vs an exact placement. For instance, my house is #25 on my street...a street where the highest address number is 27. The map lists 1-99 as the range of addresses for my street...So 25 shows about a quarter of the way down the street instead of at the end.

Okay, 99 is too high for reality...but if I do a check on my street and try to enter a number of 100 or above, the unit returns "no matches found", so you can't go beyond the defined range for the street.

I have submitted a MapShare update under "existing streets" and reported "wrong or missing house numbers" to set the correct range for the street. I'm assuming correcting the address range for my lowly side street is not the highest priority item to roll into MapShare or TeleAtlas updates.

Last edited:
I see house numbers as I click along a street when browsing a map, but these do seem to be an extrapolation vs an exact placement. For instance, my house is #25 on my street...a street where the highest address number is 27. The map lists 1-99 as the range of addresses for my street...So 25 shows about a quarter of the way down the street instead of at the end.

Okay, 99 is too high for reality...but if I do a check on my street and try to enter a number of 100 or above, the unit returns "no matches found", so you can't go beyond the defined range for the street.

I have submitted a MapShare update under "existing streets" and reported "wrong or missing house numbers" to set the correct range for the street. I'm assuming correcting the address range for my lowly side street is not the highest priority item to roll into MapShare or TeleAtlas updates.
That's what I mean...you're street has two digit addresses on it, so Tom Tom will verify any two digit number as valid on your street, even though it stops at 27. There is simply no way that every single address in North America could be geo-verified, and then published on one map.

Ask a Question