Display highway numbers?? XL335S

How can I tell my GPS to display the highway numbers in the maps? (Especially during route planning)

I am the proud new owner of an XL 335S. I switched over from a different brand after my gps was stolen from my car. I am used to being able to view the highway numbers when reviewing a proposed route. However, in this unit I cannot figure out how to turn this feature on. Am I missing something?

Bottom line...It is a important to be able to view the highway numbers before traveling in Southern California.

Thanks.

I have tagged all under Street name preferences.
I am rather unhappy that Tele Atlas insists to pre-face city streets in built up areas with county highway numbers.
When glancing at the screen while driving and expecting to turn at a specific street next, I see Regional Rd. # 38 Whites Road. This is very bad because I must now focus on the screen and read it 'til I get to the text.
It would be OK if they were just displaying the Route number as they do in Browse as text or Browse as images. This is Show route demo

View attachment 2727

Same bad idea as digital instrument instead of analogue ones on the dash board.

Last edited:
Yep. Aggrevating to hear 'turn right on county road 14' and have to look up to see that it's Bayview Avenue being referred to.

(sorry..........next part won't mean anything to non-Torontonians)

Was going down the DVP last week and all of a sudden a green sign popped up just north of the Richmond Street exit that simply said 'Downtown'! Never noticed that before and honestly, in the million times I've taken that exit, never noticed if there is a sign that says "Downtown by Richmond Street".

Anyway, was bemused by the sign.

What settings do you have checked under Preferences-->Street Names?

Hi Dhn.

I appreciate your help.

I have the following items checked:

Show street names
Show current street name on map

I have the following items unchecked:

Show house number before street name
Show next street name

Hope this helps.

'Show Next Street Name' shows the next street you want to turn on at the top of the screen (right hand side). I have muine checked.

'Show Street Number before Street Name' is the normal North American way of showing a strret address: 1234 Main Street.

The common continental Europe method is 'Main Street, 1234'.

'Show Next Street Name' shows the next street you want to turn on at the top of the screen (right hand side). I have muine checked.

'Show Street Number before Street Name' is the normal North American way of showing a strret address: 1234 Main Street.

The common continental Europe method is 'Main Street, 1234'.

It appears that none of these setting will help tell my GPS to display highway numbers in the maps.

Is there a way to hook up the unit to my computer to make sure that I am running the latest software? Perhaps this is a bug that has already been corrected.

Thanks.

PS If I cannot find a quick solution to this issue, I plan to return this unit and go with another brand.

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application version installed. Should say 8.35

Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version (835 is the latest, I think but a 840 is due any day now).

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application version installed. Should say 8.35

Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version (835 is the latest, I think but a 840 is due any day now).

App Version = 8.414
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5136
Map: 'North_America_P' v835.2499

Unfortunately, it looks like everything is up-to-date.

Thanks.

App Version = 8.414
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5136
Map: 'North_America_P' v835.2499

Unfortunately, it looks like everything is up-to-date.

Thanks.

Upon further review, it appear that the highway numbers are only displayed on the map when I tap on a particular highway one-at-a-time. There is no way to have a bird's eye view of all the major highway numbers along a route. It is very clunky.

Does your model do something different?

Thanks.

Nope. Just as not all street names show as you are travelling to a planned route.

The gps company's (not only TT) view is that the device is a navigating device, not a mapping device.

Nope. Just as not all street names show as you are travelling to a planned route.

The gps company's (not only TT) view is that the device is a navigating device, not a mapping device.

I understand that the TomTom software on the iPhone does display highway numbers from a bird's eye view. In addition, my former unit (different brand) does as well.

Frankly, I am very surprised that this is the case.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate your time.

The iPhone software is in some regards a generation "newer". You can see how the lane guidance has moved to the bottom center of the screen.

The next generation Tomtom PND software (application 9.x - only available in Europe on the 550/750/950 models), has a completely redesigned interface. Maybe some owners from Europe can post if highway numbers now show on those models.

If they do, then you can wait/hope that Tomtom updates their older devices to this software and perhaps you'll get the feature.

But no guarantees: When application 7 came out, all Tomtoms got the free update. When application 8 came out, only some of the older devices got the free update.

The iPhone software is in some regards a generation "newer". You can see how the lane guidance has moved to the bottom center of the screen.

The next generation Tomtom PND software (application 9.x - only available in Europe on the 550/750/950 models), has a completely redesigned interface. Maybe some owners from Europe can post if highway numbers now show on those models.

If they do, then you can wait/hope that Tomtom updates their older devices to this software and perhaps you'll get the feature.

But no guarantees: When application 7 came out, all Tomtoms got the free update. When application 8 came out, only some of the older devices got the free update.

They don't on the 750. At least not at a zoom level where it would be helpful.

Ask a Question