Discussion of the 875 map.

went smoothly

Just downloaded the 875 Maps to my 2535 M Live. No problems at all. Just to let everyone know that when first downloading on the top left, it will say that your unit is up to date. You will see, however, the download line on the top right with the time remaining. After the download, it will install. At about 87% it will say completed but to leave unit connected to finish the installation on your unit which was about another 5 minutes

The download to my XXL540TM was successful, too.

Took about an hour overall; 30 min to download to the computer and 30 to install on device.

TomTom New Map Installation.jpg

Download and installation was successfully completed within 65 minutes.

map 875 - POI's now have street address info

It appears that the POI's now contain street address info on my 2505 with the 875 map. When you choose to Navigate to a POI, select a POI from the list, then press the info button, it now contains the street address.

I wish it would display the address on the same screen that displays the list of POI's instead of having to select a POI, then press the "Show info" button just to see if that is the location you want. Better than no info at all.

POI Information - Maps 875

I just updated my GO720 to maps 875 and my POI's still don't show any additional information, like street and phone #. Is there a separate setting for that extra information to show?

<rant mode="on" mood="mad">
Just finished downloading and darnit, my street is STILL not on the map. it's been 2 1/2 years since I requested the correction (I know the housing development has existed for at least 3 1/2 years) and six months since I finally got a notice that it was being added in the 'next' release. The lying bastards! The stated correction time of 18 months is already ridiculous, but I'm going on 30+ months and still nothing has changed. What do they do, hand draw the streets pixel by pixel?!?

Why do I keep paying for this again?
</rant>

Edit:
Just browsed the map a little and a change I submitted for a missing downtown street 9 months ago has been made. I suppose that should make me less angry, but then why isn't my street in there! Grrrr...

I just updated my GO720 to maps 875 and my POI's still don't show any additional information, like street and phone #. Is there a separate setting for that extra information to show?

There are many different versions of the same map - with or without IQ Routing, with or without alphanumeric house numbers, with or without Voice recognition files etc. etc.

This is done for space reasons and so as not to give people features they didn't pay for. (I'm not saying that's something you should have paid for! But if it wasn't available when you bought the TomTom they have no real obligation to give you something extra).

Updated to 875 and upon turning on the unit it sticks at the 'Legal Notice' screen. When I turned on after the update I got the drum sound so I thought I was home free. So much for my luck. Pushed the reset button and turned it on again. Got the drum sound and then it went to the 'Legal Notice' again. Same problem.

Anyone got some suggestions on how to handle this???

See if this helps........

Connect to Home. Run the emulator and plan a trip. Make sure a specific state, not just the USA symbol, is selected in the city screenn.

Complete the routing and detach properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.

FWIW, which probably isn't much...

My 740 Live was VERY sluggish in response to button pushes for the first few minutes after I fired it up with 875 loaded. It would take 15 seconds or more to execute just about anything I touched. That straightened itself out after a few minutes of use. Have never had that happen after a map upgrade before... or any other time, for that matter.

Interesting.... I had exactly the same thing happen after the update to v870 maps.

Since then, it still "feels" just a little bit different from how I was used to it being.

I'm trying to download the v875 Europe map now. Already had one failure...

Map_v875_Home_Error.jpg

That was after the progress bar had been creeping up slowly for over an hour.

Installed bot the NA 875 and the Western_Europe 875 onto my 540 WTE two days ago.

The NA dl and install was uneventful but the actual install of the WE map took darn close to an hour.

And, TT still insists on loading up the WE map with all the (useless) csppech file for all the countries. They just take up space. The 540 does not have a microphone so no VR is possible.

Anyway, now it's done, I must practise what I preach and back up both maps.

so is 875 any better map than 870?

I have Canada_Usa_Mexico map ( v870.3398) on another TT device and the map is the April release .. Well imagine my surprise to find that the new 875 isn't ny more accurate or better than this older map..

There are roads on the 870 map that are better defined than the 875 map .....

not very happy..

Thanks guys for the suggestions. It looks like canderson hit the nail on the head. After I posted I had to go out and run some errands. I left the unit on and at home. When I got back the unit was up and running just fine. Took it out for a quick test drive and all seems to be ok.

This is the first time that I have experienced this problem. All the other updates went without a hitch. I'll have to watch this for the next update.

Thanks again.

I have found that if the device seems to be frozen on some screen that if I just leave it alone for a while it works its way through it and continues merely on its way. It seems it's just trying to figure out what to do next... :D

There are many different versions of the same map - with or without IQ Routing, with or without alphanumeric house numbers, with or without Voice recognition files etc. etc.

This is done for space reasons and so as not to give people features they didn't pay for. (I'm not saying that's something you should have paid for! But if it wasn't available when you bought the TomTom they have no real obligation to give you something extra).

the address info is contained on the crpoi.dat file. can someone post the crpoi.dat file? i have a 740 live with updated 875 map but do not have the address info either. i suspect all 740 live users will not get the crpoi.dat file because the file is 2 large for the 2g internal memory on the 740 live. however, i store my map on an 8 gb sdhc card, so if anyone can post the crpoi.dat file, i would appreciate it. thanks

Good experience

I just thought I would remark about the good experience that I have had with the new map update.....Since I updated, my TomTom Go 740, it no longer reboots like it used to (keeping my fingers crossed as I say this).....and the overall performance of my gps seems to be a lot better than it used to be. The download and installation went without a hiccup other than taking about 45 minutes to get it downloaded and installed. But what has me feeling better is how good app 9.058 is working with this new map and how the gps in general has been operating. I just wanted to share my positive experience for once with this new update. (Still keeping fingers crossed)

Just wanted to say how well the map update and the 10.5 application went on my 2535 Live. No hiccups and it seems to operate more smoothly after this update. I also like some of the new features added both in the map and the new application. Thanks TT.

Ask a Question