Disconnecting the One XL-S from the Computer

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
After I use HOME to disconnect from the computer, pull the plug, and push the button on the top to shut it down, the unit just hangs on the splash screen. I have to wait a few seconds and then hold down the button again for what seems longer than the usual shut off to get it to shut down. Shutting down in regular use is much shorter. Is this unusual?

ALSO - do you have to disconnect through HOME or can you use the Windows Safely Remove Hardware window?

I do this.....disconnect device through Home and do NOT disconnect when it says it's safe to do so. Let the unit cycle through to the legal screen or map screen (dependinging upon firmware) and then shut it down.

What I do when I'm all done with home and corrections have been made and ready to disconnect and it says ok to, look at the top of your computer screen and you should see "Device" click on that and then it will ask you to disconnect, click on that and if you look/watch the bottom of your TT you will see a yellow line go across the bottom (at least on my One XL) and then you can disconnect from your computer, someone on here told me about that.

All I do is just X out of Home once it's done, and then simply use windows to safely remove device. I always make sure and watch the device to make sure nothing it being written.

I used to just unplug the device without using "safely remove hardware" and it became VERY annoying, because ANY time I would connect the device back to ANY computer, any computer running Vista would give me the damn message saying that the device HAS to be scanned for errors because there might be errors on the device. No matter how many times I scanned for errors and came back clean in Windows, the message wouldn't go away. The only way for me to stop this message from coming back was rebooting the PC WITH the TomTom attatched to the PC, then before windows loads, it will automatically start the chkdisk process, then once it's finished, no more messages when plugging in the device.

For whatever reason, running chkdisk while in Windows never solved anything, only during boot up of windows is when everything went well.

Ask a Question