Disaster! XL formatted and now nothing?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500M; One 3rd Edition
My XL was formatted and now TTHome won't recognize it but Win XP does. Can't reformat ("...could not complete format") and can't write to the device to copy backup files. Is there any hope?

Thanks.

If freshly formatted as a FAT32 device, there's no reason Home shouldn't see it.
Perform a HARD reset (hold power button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums, then immediately release it) and reconnect to your PC and see what Home says. The correct USB information about the device has to be transmitted successfully in order to trigger Home.

If freshly formatted as a FAT32 device, there's no reason Home shouldn't see it.
Perform a HARD reset (hold power button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums, then immediately release it) and reconnect to your PC and see what Home says. The correct USB information about the device has to be transmitted successfully in order to trigger Home.

FAT32, HARD reset and Home does not start. Manual start of Home and I get the "No device connected" message.

Use XP to try to copy a few files back and forth to the unit as though it was an ordinary external drive. Does that work correctly?

Are you using the cable that came with the device and using a usb port on the back of the computer?

Are you using the cable that came with the device and using a usb port on the back of the computer?

Not sure about the cable but I'm using a port in the front of my PC. Never had a problem before and my 1 3rd edition works fine.

These things can be touchy. Try a rear port on your PC with the cable that works with your ONE 3rd and format the unit again, FAT32, and full format, not 'quick' format.

Does that model have an SD card slot? It MIGHT be that the internal memory has actually failed.

But before worrying about that, try dhn's and canderson's suggestions first.

These things can be touchy. Try a rear port on your PC with the cable that works with your ONE 3rd and format the unit again, FAT32, and full format, not 'quick' format.

I moved it to a rear port and format completed successfully. Then I copied all the files (took hours) to the XL then tried to start it. It displayed the startup screen and did nothing else. Thought I had it. Then I tried to update it and it worked except no gpsfix update. Restarted and nothing but the starup screen again. Something wrong with my backup data?

Does that model have an SD card slot? It MIGHT be that the internal memory has actually failed.

But before worrying about that, try dhn's and canderson's suggestions first.
No card slot and I'm guessing the memory chip is good because it seems to have formatted correctly.

News Flash: I just tried to update from Home again and now it's asking me to install the latest "application". Should I? I clicked "more info" and saw the file size and version number of the application. I assume by application they mean firmware, correct? I believe it's suggesting my firmware how some how become corrupted and I should reinstall it. That could explain why it won't start. Seems reasonable to me if I'm correct.

Yes, you should.........
I updated but it didn't complete the installation. It does seem to work but I'm not sure how reliable it will be. It takes several minutes to locate satellites. gpsfix won't update.Should I try to attempt a restore with Home or is there something else I could try.

After the original load, do not be surprised if it takes a while to get an initial satellite fix. That's normal since all previous ephemeris data is gone after the reformat.

As for updating the fix files, if you'll tell us just a little bit about the issue (are they even being offered?) we can probably get that squared away as well.

After the original load, do not be surprised if it takes a while to get an initial satellite fix. That's normal since all previous ephemeris data is gone after the reformat.

As for updating the fix files, if you'll tell us just a little bit about the issue (are they even being offered?) we can probably get that squared away as well.
Later I received the gpsfix update. Everything seems to be working again. Thanks so much.

Ask a Question