different routes from same start to same finish

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
It is dorky :eek: but enlightening to use a TT in one's town i.e. very familiar routes.

I have a 730 and on two different days (both weekdays at very close to the same time of day) TT gave me two very different routes from the tennis club to home. :confused: .

There are some "normal" circumstances that would cause this. Aside from automatic re-routing to minimize traffic delays, the most likely is your previous direction of travel. You may have noticed that the beginning of your route(s) are sometimes obviously inefficient. This is because TomTom tries to keep you traveling in the same direction that your were traveling when you arrived at your current starting point.

For example, my house is about 600 feet from a major intersection. When TomTom is guiding me home, it takes me from that intersection, along my street, right to my house. When I then use TomTom to guide me somewhere FROM my house, the route starts out by continuing AWAY from that intersection, even if the calculated route takes me through that very same intersection less than one mile into the calculated route. However, if I didn't previously use TomTom to guide me home, it starts out with an "unknown" orientation, and calculates a route that takes me directly to that intersection.

If the differences you're seeing are at the beginning of the route, this may be what you're experiencing.

Thanks for the theory. Given that this does happen should one do a recalculate to maybe get the best route i.e. so it isnt "influenced" by its most recent trip?

I have a 730 and on two different days (both weekdays at very close to the same time of day) TT gave me two very different routes from the tennis club to home. :confused: .
Is it possible that you may have changed some settings like 'fastest' vs. 'shortest' route?

Thanks for the theory. Given that this does happen should one do a recalculate to maybe get the best route i.e. so it isnt "influenced" by its most recent trip?

I haven't come across a way to force it to ignore my last known direction of travel, but I haven't looked for one either. The only place it's really noticeable is at home, and then I just ignore it.

I haven't come across a way to force it to ignore my last known direction of travel, but I haven't looked for one either. The only place it's really noticeable is at home, and then I just ignore it.
Due to a healthy dose of paranoia I have set my "Home" just before an on ramp to the freeway. My house is about a mile from there with two easy turns.
Any time I switch on the TomTom it points in the right direction on my street. I presume it points to its "Home" position.

I know this would be easy to do but I am confident that I chose 'fastest' each time with IQ enabled.
Last week I posted the problems I made for myself by not setting the option [Planing preferences] ( o ) Ask me every time I plan .

Last edited:
Due to a healthy dose of paranoia I have set my "Home" just before an on ramp to the freeway. My house is about a mile from there with two easy turns.
Any time I switch on the TomTom it points in the right direction on my street. I presume it points to its "Home" position.

Does the name 'Simonston' ring a bell? How's your paranoia now??:D

Does Tomtom learn?

To get back home there are two choices at about the two mile mark. For the first handful of times, my 720 chose one way, which I always ignored. Now from the same approach direction it always chooses the way I normally go!

Ask a Question