Different downlaod map size for 520/720 - can you use either

TomTom Model(s)
520 T
Hi Guys
I have been all over TomTom for answer to this and they are not really getting me so I was hoping you all would.!
I have a TomTom 520 here in the UK. It only has UK maps. I want to add the USA maps as I come to you lot a lot. My device has 512k on internal memory so I have a nice 2GB Extremem II SD card.
So I go to the TomTom web site and see that i select my model, 520 then USA and Cananda and the map size is 958MB. But when I select the model 720, I have to pick the North American maps and the file size is 1745 MB.

So I was wondering, what is the difference between the

520's USA and Canada maps; and
720's North America maos

apart from size.

Also, then I thought on the x20 machines can you run the maps from the bigger download on another machine if you have the SD space?

Why do I want to do this, well if the 710's North American map has more detail and more POIs and lake detail etc I would rather have that/

Thanks all.
Craig

So I was wondering, what is the difference between the

520's USA and Canada maps; and
720's North America maos

apart from size.

Also, then I thought on the x20 machines can you run the maps from the bigger download on another machine if you have the SD space?

Why do I want to do this, well if the 710's North American map has more detail and more POIs and lake detail etc I would rather have that/

Thanks all.
Craig

The USA & Canada map hasn't nearly the detail nor the poi's that the NA 710 maps do.

So just ahd this from TomTom
"
The essential map data for both maps are the same. It is only that the larger map version will only run on an internal memory. The internal memory on a Go 720 is not 512 MB but 2GB! Only data (if running the Western Europe map) like landscape in Scandinavia (if you are a UK customer) will not be included to limit the size of the map. However the navigation experience and all the roads will be exactly the same. This applies to the US maps as well. The fact that they are named differently is immaterial. It is the first 3 digits of the version of the map which is relevant."

So I am not sure if what they are saying is.... You can not run a larger map on a SD card for a 520 so why have an SD card slot?

So I am not sure if what they are saying is.... You can not run a larger map on a SD card for a 520 so why have an SD card slot?

You can put mp3's on the sd card or photos, I suppose.

and, despite, what TT sent you, there are differences between the two maps.

You can put mp3's on the sd card or photos, I suppose.

and, despite, what TT sent you, there are differences between the two maps.

Yep and that's what now gets me. I am ****ed at them as I wanted the NA maps and now I can't.

Aaaarrrrggghhh

The USA & Canada map hasn't nearly the detail nor the poi's that the NA 710 maps do.

Have you checked this for the same map version? So version 710 of North America vs. version 710 of USA&Canada?

Have you checked this for the same map version? So version 710 of North America vs. version 710 of USA&Canada?

As I remember, USA & Canada 7.10 was about 900megs, NA 7.10 build 15xx is about 1.3 gigs and NA 7.10 build 1609 is 1.9 gigs.

Yep and that's what now gets me. I am ****ed at them as I wanted the NA maps and now I can't.

Aaaarrrrggghhh

Well I bite the bullett, bought them, took five attempts to download and finally I have the North American maps running on the 520T which has a 2GB SD and a 512 internal memory.

I told TomTom it was taking ages to download and they offered me a refund. If I take it will they know I downloaded it successfully?

Also, I got version 7.10.15xx which I do not think is the most up to date. How can i get the extras from the 1609 version please?

Also, I got version 7.10.15xx which I do not think is the most up to date. How can i get the extras from the 1609 version please?

Actually, for the 720, the 15xx is the correct version; the 1609 is really meant for the 920 which has much more internal memory and can handle the larger map ... the difference between the two map versions basically is the size of the included poi.dat file.

The 1609 is about 270 megs; the 15xx is about 73 megs. In other words, the 1609 will have about 3x the poi's as does the 15xx version.

The maps themselves, as I understand it, are pretty much the same.

Thanks for that. Well I have the UK 520T and was told I should have bought the USA & Canada maps, which I was not going too as i wanted the bigger ones and had a fast SD card.

So as I will be driving basically around Florida and Chicago, do I need the greater POIs? and if so, how can I get them?

Also, can I use POIs on the Device internal memory on the Map stored on the SD card do you know?

Thanks

It seems as though TomTom have got wise to this though and have now stopped people from buying them through the website and downloading to a different device. I bought the 920 map and whenever i try to download i get a message saying i can't do it for this device, unless there is another way to download i am hoping TomTom will swop the map or give me a refund.

It seems as though TomTom have got wise to this though and have now stopped people from buying them through the website and downloading to a different device. I bought the 920 map and whenever i try to download i get a message saying i can't do it for this device, unless there is another way to download i am hoping TomTom will swop the map or give me a refund.

that sucks m8

Ask a Question