Different Apps on device and SD card

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL & GO 740 LIVE
I wasn't able to find any info on this so I apologize if this has been discussed before. Also, I don't think this is related to one specific device so I posted it in the general discussion forum. If need be please move.

I'm currently running two different apps on my 740, one on the device and one on a SD card. I wanted to try an earlier, seemingly more stable app version. The problem is that whenever I switch between the two I loose all of my settings (favorites, bluetooth info, etc.) The only thing I don't seem to be loosing are my custom POI categories and the POI's contained within them. I did have my map on the SD card but deleted it after noticing that I was able to access the map on the device with the SD card inserted (is this perhaps what's causing the problem?) Either way, I was hoping someone might know if there's a way to avoid loosing all of my favorites, etc, whenever I switch between the app on the device and the app on the SD card.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, I do know that TomTom's O/S is such that if you have the firmware on the sdhc card, it'll boot to that first.

I am not sure whether it'll then look for a map on the sd card prior to looking on internal memory. I'm pretty sure it does since I think there are users with a firmware at one level and a map that the firmware recognizes on a card and then a different firmware version and a second map on internal.

So, I suspect if you copy the map from internal to the card, should work.

I'm currently running two different apps on my 740, one on the device and one on a SD card. I wanted to try an earlier, seemingly more stable app version. The problem is that whenever I switch between the two I loose all of my settings (favorites, bluetooth info, etc.) The only thing I don't seem to be loosing are my custom POI categories and the POI's contained within them.
Each app has its own MapSettings,cfg and never the twain shall meet.
Read up on the MapSettings.cfg problems people had when updating to newer app versions.

As long as the map folder and its contents are all OK it can reide on either the internal Flash memory or the storage card, as for the Navcore, when the device boots up it first of all looks for a memory card, if it finds one it then looks for the Navcore on the SD card, if it finds the Navcore on the card it will boot using the version loaded to the memory card, if there is a card installed with no Navcore loaded it will boot from the internal flash memory.
I use this dual booting technique quite often when testing out a new version so I can quickly revert back to the older stable software if it all goes pear shaped (fortunately this doesn't occur too often) but I like having the abaility to switch Navcore whilst in the car with no recourse to a computer - Mike

Ask a Question