Difference between full USA and regional maps?

OK, I'm a bit confused to say the least today. I just downloaded and installed the new verion 7.20 USA map that was purchased from Tomtom for $79.95. All fine and great. Noticed the map was 786 megs. OK, great. Now looked, and the full North America is 1.6 gigs. Hmmm, figured it was Canada and Alaska ramping up the size. Well, looking further, I get to the regional maps to purchase, i.e., Southeast, Northeast, Plains, etc. Those sell for $59.95 each.
Now here's where the complete confusion comes in. The Southeast file alone is 365 megs. When I added all of the regional US files, which would, I though, compile the entire USA maps I bought, I realized the total size of all regions came to 2.28 GIGS. Compared to 1.6 gigs for the North America purchase. Can someone tell me what the difference is with the amount of information on the regionals compared to the overall maps? Like exactly what all the extra information is per file. I can't find anything specific on Tomtom's website.
I travel a lot for business and pleasure specifically in the Southeast and want to make sure I have the max roads, etc. loaded. Would purchasing and loading the Southeast region give me that much more information than the USA maps I downloaded today and the overall 1.6 gig North America maps?
I'm just a little confused at this point and would really appreciate whatever information anyone can give me.

Noticed the map was 786 megs
The North America map for tomtom720 is 1617 mb. The map that you have downloaded is most likely for tomtom one or similar product. I don't know if you can return it but if possible return it and get the right map.

There is no difference between regional maps and full NA map other than the poi's available. However there are differences in USA and Canada map and North America Map. If you look around on the forum, I think somebody posted a link to poi's for 920. Get the right map for you device and replace the POI's.

HTH:D

Last edited:
The North America map for tomtom720 is 1617 mb. The map that you have downloaded is most likely for tomtom one or similar product. I don't know if you can return it but if possible return it and get the right map.

There is no difference between regional maps and full NA map other than the poi's available. If you look around on the forum, I think somebody posted a link to poi's for 920. Get the right map for you device and replace the POI's.

HTH:D

Thanks. Sounds like the POI's are going to be it. Actually, the United States file does work fine, just a new option for the purchases to save $20. Got it installed and works fine. Just wanted to make sure there weren't additional roads that might not have been included. Have the POI's downloading to install now. :D

Sorry I didn't elaborate on USA map. North America map is supposed to be most detailed map. USA map might not show you rivers and lakes etc and might be missing some small roads. However when I used it last, I didn't come across any roads that were missing on the USA map either and I live in the back woods;) but your experience might be different.
Also I forgot to mention the speech files in NA map that are not available in the USA map so no voice recognition.

Last edited:

Ask a Question