Did I screw something up?

I plugged my new 340s into my vista laptop and a screen popped up to scan and fix. Well I said yes. I disconnected the unit and the same message came up again. Since I just "repaired" the files, I did an internet search and saw that I shouldn't have done that although nothing specific has happened.

I'm backing up the unit now, so once that's done I'll play around with it, but is there something I should know or do first?

Make a full backup using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything, and if Vista pops up that stupid warning about checking things or fixing them for you when you connect the device decline the offer as there is nothing wrong with your device - Mike

I had the same issue. Another moderator suggested I backup my unit (using Explorer) and try to fix the problem. I'm thinking I may not do that, now. (Try to fix it, I'll still backup.)

It happened to my Wds vista too ..But i accidently hit "Scan&fix" ....
It did scanned but i'm sure it fixed anything .....But NEVER seen it pop up again ...."My-luck...?"

I did!!!

First time posting.

I purchased two tomtom 125se. One for mom and one for my wife.

While I was working with my moms on her vista computer, a disk check poped up and "fixed" the tomtom memory, I ended up with about 40 or so recovered fragments and a corrupt map file. Played with the broken one for 4 days to get the files from the working one copyed to the broken one using explorer, then, the map was not usable. Found out here that maps are not transferable.

Ended up deleting and formating the memory, copied everything except for the map. Updated the map on the first one, them using tomtom home updated the map on the second one. What a pain in the you know what. Why is vista and even XP finding disk errors on these units and trying to fix them?

Vista and XP are Microsoft, TomTom run on a specific version of Linux so there are bound to be issues - Mike

Ya me too! Funny thing is that on the TomTom web site under help it tells you that its fine to run the disk program and to let it fix the errors and sectors.. Go figure!! After I did that my unit didn't work I had to run Home and restore.. Took over two hours.. It's running now but still didn't update the map using the latest map guarantee.. Do I dare? Please if anyone can read my post in the off topic forum I would appreciate it!! Post

Help New XL 325 SE user "downloading errors!"

Thank you !! George

There is a bug in app 8.082, and app 8.411 through 8.414 where the USB driver on the Tomtom times-out often, and Windows thinks there is a disk error.

Make sure that if you have a 325 that you update to 8.083, and if you have a 335/340 that you update to 8.415 or later, to fix this bug.

MVL,
Just want to make sure of the location of that number I do have a TomTom XL 325 SE and if I look at the states block of the satellites and battery condition right below that is a block with this number in it 8.083. So I'm ok? I thought that was the map version? As you can tell I'm new at this too.. I see that if I tap that I see now
I have map USA/Canada v835.2423 Thanks! George

Last edited:
MVL,
Just want to make sure of the location of that number I do have a TomTom XL 325 SE and if I look at the states block of the satellites and battery condition right below that is a block with this number in it 8.083. So I'm ok? I thought that was the map version? As you can tell I'm new at this too.. I see that if I tap that I see now
I have map USA/Canada v835.2423 Thanks! George

You're OK application-wise, but you're 3 months out-of-date on your map. As dhn said, you can use latest map guarantee.

Whether the map upgrade succeeds? Hopefully... all the Christmas server-related-overload reports seem to have died down, and you shouldn't have download io-errors with your applicaiton.

MVL,
Thanks for the reply! Any chance they will come out with a newer map within the next 3 weeks or so? I did not turn on the unit till XMASS then I had to do a restore on it.. just want to get the most out of the 30 day's of map guarantee.

dhn,

Just a note. I did manage to use Explorer to back up my XL 325 to a folder in on my computer then I decided to copy that backup to a DVD ROM and keep that copy safe in the units box.. I was not sure if windows did it's scan-disk to my computers hard drive it would look into my my Explorer backup and want to fix errors within that file rendering it useless to me.. As you can see I have yet to update the unit... I see it wants me to once again update the Computer voice Samantha in my unit.. This is when all my issues started.. Still trying to get brave about the upgrades and updates.. Thanks so much guys you both have been very helpful!! George

There will not be an updated map until the end of February.

As long as you have an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, and you have the latest application installed, you should try for the LMG using Home.

dhn,
Ok I'll do the map LMG update. But should I pass on the Computer voice Samantha update? How about the map corrections they offer from the share community? Could these updates be dicey? Do I need them? George

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone still wondering about this scan & fix error (which I encountered) read this forum:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-xl-xxl/10724-vista-error-scan-fix.html

Basically TomTom uses a file extension that Microsoft recognizes as a file fragment or piece. MS wants to recover it. That would change the file extension and possibly make it not working. Anyway, the forum link I posted has a great fix that takes seconds to do. Hope this helps! Maybe someone should sticky this error message, since a lot of people seem to be getting it.

dhn,
Ok I'll do the map LMG update. But should I pass on the Computer voice Samantha update? How about the map corrections they offer from the share community? Could these updates be dicey? Do I need them? George

Take it a step at at a time.

Get the map. Make another Explorer backup after the installation. Then you can try for another computer voice and certainly the mapshare changes.

dhn,

Thanks again! Ok I'll do it in the steps you suggest. Sounds like a good plan.. I assume if things go wrong I can just delete my files from my TomTom in Explorer and copy them back using Explorer.. If I format what fat does Tom Tom use on there device? I would assume fat 32 but want to make sure.. George

Ask a Question