Diagnostics

Hi there,

I recently purchased my TOMTOM in South Africa. (details in signiture)
all the booklets says that the TOMTOM has 2GB of internal flash memory and has Voice reckognition.

Well first dissapointment came that there is no VR for the South African Map
and the second is that the internal flash memory , according to windows explorers property, is actually only 512MB ?

Am I missing something on the memory side, or is there some sort of diagnostic tool to use to actually see more information on the TOMTOM hardware i.e. GPS chip and version , is the 512MB that i'm seeing the only thing that is displayed as the mapped drive in windows and the rest of the 1.5GB is floating around on it's own ?

I contacted the TomTom support and there answer is that is has 2GB of internal flash memory, never mind that I said that it only has 512MB ?

any ideas

In terms of the storage, yes, a 720 is supposed to have 2 gigs of internal storage. And the ram size is 64 mb, so that can't be the 512 you are seeing in Explorer. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing in Windows and look at the 'drive' represented by the unit again. You may be seeing FREE storage available out of 2 gigs.

In terms of Voice Recognition: are there any csspeechxx.dat files in the South Africa map folder? If not, then indeed VR is not available (on that map version, anyway).

Report back and welcome to the Board.

-----------------------------------------------
More thoughts on the issue: Are you SURE you have a 720? I ask that because lower end models DO have 512 megs, not 2 gigs, of internal storage. Also, is it possible that you have a sd card installed and that Explorer was really looking at the size of the card?

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a 512MB SD card in the unit? Just a guess..

I know that when ever I connect my 720 to my computer, 2 removable drives show up. One for the internal memory 2GB (1.91GB) and the other for my SD card 4GB (3.78GB)

You're sure they sent you a 720... right?

The Australian GO 720 had 512MB of memeory vs 2GB for the US version...I bought mine there and then got Aust map on return. So the Sth African version, which only has a small map could well have 512 MB. You will need to get a memory card for large maps.
RossH

Ask a Question