device not recognized via usb

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live1535
and numerous resets have not corrected problem..

what to do?/ When connected to PC it states that device is recogised but then states the device is unknown ...

How can I get Tom TOM 630 reset ?? CD software ???

I have a good backup stored for later . How to get the 630 back to factory settings??

Are you SURE you are making proper contact with the pin reset in the bottom of the unit?

You are right !.. I was using ball point pen,, and even thought the device demonstrated to me that it had reset it wasn't I needed a straight pin or bent paper clip to get a proper reset going ...

So the device is now recognized .. but I am still have an issue with blue tooth compatibility .. It does not want to talk to my cell phone , ,and my cell phone doesn't want to talk to the 630 either ..

So a restore may be the answer I am running that right now..

OH Oh big problems here .. The back I saved last week is over 5.17G in size tom tom can't accept it .. How could this restore be so big..?? The tom tom 630 I save over is only about 3.7G in size for my 4GB HD inside ... ??????????????

Not working.., so I erased all the M drive ( my tom tom hooked up to the PC ) and the properties is only 1.91 G B in size.. so I formatted the the drive and it is still only 1.91 GB in size..
my maps alone over 2 GB alone .......

Looks lkie I may have to get an SD card ( 4gb in size)....

Not working.., so I erased all the M drive ( my tom tom hooked up to the PC ) and the properties is only 1.91 G B in size.. so I formatted the the drive and it is still only 1.91 GB in size..
my maps alone over 2 GB alone .......
What map(s) have you got? Have you been running multiple maps before? The North America version, unpackaged, is only about 1.65GB and should fit

Well I finally got it back and it also can find my cell phone..BUT
It would not allow me to back up and restore properly My backed up files that I faithfully backed up to another file with the view open and files exposed and extensions used as per this article here on Tom Tom Forums..
I had more errors etc.. so I removed everything (again) and then started up home..it did it's thing by finding and installing updates.. then i did a restore from one of my past nackups.. ( it picked one from three weeks ago.. and voila all workingagain..
I'm goimgto have to try and pick up a $35 sd card... and see if the 3.7 GB will install on my 1.9 GB Tom Tom 630......

... and see if the 3.7 GB will install on my 1.9 GB Tom Tom 630......
I like the idea of the SD card on general principles, but HUH? Unless you have maps for multiple countries, there's something really wrong with the 3.7GB number. That much stuff would cover all of North America and Western Europe.

Well I backed up the TT a few weeks back with my new Itinery items ( 25 stops).., and I backed it up on a separate HD with all the viewing explorer features open as described above .. That backup shows property's of 3.41 GB in size ( it has all my poi's and 2GB North American maps (355) ...

So when I go to backup and restore my TT it stalls out and says no more room .. I check the property's of my 630 TT and it shows 1.91 GB .. So I deleted all the files on the TT and used the backup to drag over... and it stalled out again saying no more room .. use the SD card , well I don't have one ( as of yet) .. So I deleted all files again ... then I used reset (again) that got my TT back to factory.., then I used the HOME applicaiton to the website and used that backup and that worked fine except I lost a few minor applications as well I lost all my Itinery points but I did have my favorites ...... The backup alone was from three weeks ago even though I backup daily using HOME ........
So bottom line what happened? Well the TT 630 suddenly crashed on me yesterday, and I lost the Bluetooth technology in the TT it would not talk to my cell phone .. and after all the resets and backups I finally after 4 hours got it back on track ....:mad:
:)

Well I backed up the TT a few weeks back with my new Itinery items ( 25 stops).., and I backed it up on a separate HD with all the viewing explorer features open as described above .. That backup shows property's of 3.41 GB in size ( it has all my poi's and 2GB North American maps (355) ...
Um.. sorry there, but doesn't it seem a bit counterintuitive that you would have created a backup set of files from a device with a 2GB capacity (which you don't even get quite 100% of to play with), and your backup set is 3.41 GB? I believe you'll find that 3.41GB is TWO backups, or at least one full backup and one partial added together. It certainly couldn't all have come from your unit in one pass. Little wonder that you were unable to get it all to fit back on the 630.

can't see where there is two backups .,. in this attached jpg

??????

Attachments

• backup tom tom.jpg
    backup tom tom.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 402
Without seeing the byte sizes on the folders, it would be hard to guess where all of that is coming from. Then again, you used Home for the backup instead of using Explorer, and Home may be holding multiple copies. If you right click it and check the "Properties" to get the size, what size is the folder called North_America_2GB? Again - a "clean" backup of a 2GB device, not all of which is exposed and available, cannot create a 3.41GB result. You're seeing why we don't recommend Home for backups, but much prefer this procedure around here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Home can do some very odd things at times.

It's evident from the screenshot (to me, anyway) that not only did you back up the NA map, but you backed up the contents of the map (again) separately outside of the NA map folder, in other words, duplicating the files ... and the file size.

Do as canderson suggest, delete that complete backup (it would never work properly if you did restore it, I think) and use the information in the link canderson provided to do a proper Explorer backup.

I deleted the folder and contents and rebacked up the new reloaded backup and it is now 1.71 GB .. Then I did a seperate backup on another PC using the TT 630 with all files opened.. so I now have two backups as well as my Home BaCKUP when I do updates etc ... daily ..

Thanks ... :)

It happened again today .. Loosing the the handshake between TT and Mobile phone and Bluetooth Took many hours and resets and hard resets as well as manual backup.. But finally Bluetooth is working again..

I wonder if it is my phone ( motorola LG 380) and not TT 630 ?
I'll be looking into this and reporting back later in the week..

It happened again today .. Loosing the the handshake between TT and Mobile phone and Bluetooth Took many hours and resets and hard resets as well as manual backup..
As I understand it, unless you back up to 8.302, you will continue to have issues with the BT connection dropping periodically - a function of the 8.351 firmware as I understand it, often reported here.

It happened again today .. Loosing the the handshake between TT and Mobile phone and Bluetooth Took many hours and resets and hard resets as well as manual backup.. But finally Bluetooth is working again..

I wonder if it is my phone ( motorola LG 380) and not TT 630 ?
I'll be looking into this and reporting back later in the week..

Have found a solution to this on going problem . .:
When the two devices loose the handshake.. I turn off each of each of them and then turn on the GPS first then the Cellphone second .. this seems to reactivate the bluetooth handshake and they then hold hands ...

But if I only turn off one of the devices back and forth it will not reactivate .. It seems to be the TT630 is loosing the Bluetooth activation.... or is it my imagination and it is the LG 380 ??

either way this above reactivation seems to work ...

Ask a Question