Detailed regional maps

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
Okay, I bought the pitch, hook line & sinker, that somehow the regional maps are "better" than the standard. More detailed it said. What detail did I expect? Well, I noticed that when I was driving around the downtown area, the positions of buildings actually showed up on the map. Well heck; if it can do that for the more densely populated areas, maybe that's available near my home! Well, I can't see a lick of difference between the two maps, at least along my commute routes, and only 129 updates across the whole Western U.S. region compared with the 4000 California updates in the general purpose North America map.

What is supposed to be so special about the regional U.S. maps? What did I just buy? Good vibrations?

Okay, I bought the pitch, hook line & sinker, that somehow the regional maps are "better" than the standard. More detailed it said. What detail did I expect? Well, I noticed that when I was driving around the downtown area, the positions of buildings actually showed up on the map. Well heck; if it can do that for the more densely populated areas, maybe that's available near my home! Well, I can't see a lick of difference between the two maps, at least along my commute routes, and only 129 updates across the whole Western U.S. region compared with the 4000 California updates in the general purpose North America map.

What is supposed to be so special about the regional U.S. maps? What did I just buy? Good vibrations?

My understanding is that a regional map is just a piece of the entire North America map but that the regional map is better (somewhat) than the equivalent area of the USA & Canada map (assuming all maps are the same version, e.g, 7.10 or 7.15).

So, in summary, if you already had the larger North America map (not, USA & Canada), then you probably wasted your money.

My understanding is that a regional map is just a piece of the entire North America map but that the regional map is better (somewhat) than the equivalent area of the USA & Canada map (assuming all maps are the same version, e.g, 7.10 or 7.15).

So, in summary, if you already had the larger North America map (not, USA & Canada), then you probably wasted your money.

Okay then maybe not... most recent North America map available seems to be 710. The regional map was version 715.

Good vibrations, bop bop...

Okay well... the Latest Map Guarantee feature claims what I've got (710) is the most recent. I've got a support ticket open about that.

Just to wrap things up...

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/01/2008 07:48 PM
I have version 710 of the North America map installed on my unit, the Latest Map Guarantee button in TomTom Home says there isn't a more recent version. After finding some problems with the placement of roads, I bought the U.S. Western Region map, which turned out to be version 715. People on tomtomforums.com are telling me there should be a version 715 of the North America map too, and that what I bought was a subset of that more recent map.

How do I get the updated North America map I'm entitled to through the Latest Map Guarantee?

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 10:43 AM
Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Support regarding the latest map guarantee. My name is Darlene and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help!

We ask you to please attach the proof of purchase to this ticket. To attach this information to your account, please follow the directions found on our website at:

www.tomtom.com/7783

If you prefer, we can also receive this information via fax. Our fax number is:

1-978-405-1603

The latest map guarantee is for units purchased in the last 30 days or have a promotional code in the box.

We hope this information helps! If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,
and The TomTom Customer Support Team

----

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/02/2008 01:04 PM
I've been trying to do this through TomTom Home and through the link printed on my in-box certificate since day 7. After TomTom Home claimed that I had the most recent map, and your web site said the certificates were no longer being used, I assumed I had the latest one.

Though I didn't know about the 30-day requirement until recently, hopefully you'll acknowledge my past attempts. Your server error logs should confirm my attempts. If there's any debate about that, I'll be happy to explain this to the appropriate approver and do whatever is required to generate a TomTom Home 2.3.x bug report.

My PayPal receipt is attached.

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 01:35 PM
Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Support regarding the latest map guarantee. My name is Darlene and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help!

We appreciate all the time you have put in to keeping your GO 920 T updated. After reviewing your account, we have placed the map version 715 in your account. We apologize for all the inconvenience to you.

Please download the new version of map from HOME. Due to the size of the map, please delete the map version 710.

We hope this information helps! If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,
and The TomTom Customer Support Team

Ask a Question