Desperate for help with selecting a device

Hi there,
I'm hoping an expert out there can 'dumb it down' for me! My husband is hinting for a tomtom but I really don't want him to know I'm actually going to get one. I tried looking into it but I have no clue which one to get!!! WHY the hell are there so many??
From what I can tell the GO has bluetooth capability that the others don't...but I don't think his phone will work with it (he has a verizon blackberry adn it's not listed on the website as 'compatible'). Do you need a computer to use the tomtom..he has Mac and I'm not sure if that works.
All he really needs is a very good GPS...as far as the traffic details and 'IQ routes' I don't think that's necessary....
Can anyone give me quick info on the general differences between GO, ONE and whatever the other one is....
Hope this isn't one of those ridiculously stupid impossible to answer questions!!!!
TIA.

I started with a tomtom One -- a gift from my nephew. used it for 6 months. that served the purpose. Then I heard there was one with a txt-to-speech. I got curious and bought the 720... it does have txt-to-speech.. which is great.

Then I saw the 930 just a little bit some money I can get the 930 the 'voice recognition caught my attention'. and it came with remote control... So I returned the 720 and got myself a tomtom 930.

I'm camping happy with the tomtom930. For now.

The Blue Tooth is useful. When I'm driving and the phone rings, my setup will have the 930 answer the call automatically. That's 'Handsfree' with nothing hanging by my ear.

Once he gets a tomtom, he will be joining forums like this, discovers the various features of the device.... and eventually upgrade to the higher tomtom models.

Hi there,
I'm hoping an expert out there can 'dumb it down' for me! My husband is hinting for a tomtom but I really don't want him to know I'm actually going to get one. I tried looking into it but I have no clue which one to get!!! WHY the hell are there so many??
From what I can tell the GO has bluetooth capability that the others don't...but I don't think his phone will work with it (he has a verizon blackberry adn it's not listed on the website as 'compatible'). Do you need a computer to use the tomtom..he has Mac and I'm not sure if that works.
All he really needs is a very good GPS...as far as the traffic details and 'IQ routes' I don't think that's necessary....
Can anyone give me quick info on the general differences between GO, ONE and whatever the other one is....
Hope this isn't one of those ridiculously stupid impossible to answer questions!!!!
TIA.

Check the comparison chart here of the various TT units.

The software for the tt is Home and it does run on Macs.

Like Gerry said the 930 is a top of the line that works very well.
Yes it will work with the Mac computer.
The phone for blue tooth may or may not work someone else can chip in on this

The 930 or if you are lucky you might be able to pick up a 920 or 920 T

The 920 are actually identical to the 930 once you do the free updates other than it is grey and the 930 is black.
You might be able to save a few $$ if you want the 920

The 920 or 930 also come with a blue tooth remote that is handy.
And both come with Central & Western Europe map as well as North America.

As Gerry said once he gets his new TomTom he can joine this form or others and receive lots of help.
:)

Last edited:
Thank you all! Could someone tell me what text to speech and voice recognition are??
Great comparison chart!
Now I think I need to confirm that the bluetooth won't work with his phone.... off to research!

First off welcome to the TT boards.

In my opinion you should at the very least purchase a One XL. It has the larger screen.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and have been happy with it. Another thing to remember is to use the Latest Map Guarantee from TomTOm. You have 30 days to use it so after he unwraps it and thanks you, update the map on the unit.

If you're not sure how to do this, come on here and ask. The people are a GREAT help :) .

Good luck and Happy Holidays !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all! Could someone tell me what text to speech and voice recognition are??
Great comparison chart!
Now I think I need to confirm that the bluetooth won't work with his phone.... off to research!

Text to speech is the ability to select a Computer voice that allows for things like 'turn right in 300 yards on Elm Street' instead of just 'turn right in 300 yards'.

VR (voice recognition) is the functionality allowing you to SAY the city, street and number of a location you want to go to instead of just typing that info into the unit.

Ask a Question