Desktop Base for Car

TomTom Model(s)
Go 300
I just picked up a new 720. (My Go 300 was stolen from my checked luggage this week.)

One thing that I liked about my 300 was that it would stand up in my "upper, in dash compartment in my Mazda 6. The 720 won't stand up with the car charger attached. (And before you mention it, I'll just say "no, I don't want to do the "adhesive disk"/"suction cup" in my car. I'm not a big fan of stickers in my car.)

Does anybody know of a way to make the desktop base work in conjuntion with the car adapter? Perhaps a USB<->USB kind of thing. The 720 in the desk adapter will work very nicely in my Mazda. All I need to do is conver the car power cord to the desktop cord, unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

Anyone?

- M

If you can handle the cost, you can add a auto power converter, then plug in a usb hub to power the 720. I think I have seen a cigar lighter that had a usb female plug which may do the same thing without the converter, but could not find it online. will go to BestBuy and Fryes tomorrow.

Not sure I made this clear

I want to use my desktop base (which has the big, USB "A" connector) in my car. The desktop base holds my 720 in a nice vertical position and sits nicely in my dashboard opening.

These car adapters (shown above) will plug into the 720 (like the one that came with the 720).

I'm looking for a car adapter that plugs into the USB "A" cord on the desktop docking station. Basically, I need a cigarette lighter - to - USB "A" Female cord. Or perhaps I can adapt my mini USB "B" from my current 720 car adapter into a female USB "A" so I can plug my desktop base into it.

- M

its easy

hey, its easy to do.

Check this out. That's my A6, but no mater, what car u have.

U used the home cradle. All u need, just cut the wires and conected right in to elektric fuse box. Then use double face tape, to glue it, whatever u want.
:)

Cool, that's what I'm looking for!!!

Thanks a ton.

I don't like wires hanging from the windshield either, but I don't want to loose the FM transmitter either. So I'd rather use the beanbag ring instead and retain the current adaptor. Make sure you check the voltage out on this adaptor you're getting - it shouldn't exceed 5V, any <> could spell trouble and nullify your warranty. Cheers!

how did this turn out?

how did this turn out? put some pics up for other 6 drivers to look at. I have the same setup only i custom fabed a hinge in my map compartment that lowers and folders the tomtom when not in use.

Ask a Question